Need help finding an ideal kit from all you experts...

I've always wanted to make a little robot, and I think now is a good time to start.

Im looking for a good starting robot kit that has a few specification:

-programmable : I like the idea of a reprogrammable robot, and Im a compsci major with a fair amount of programming experience so it should be too difficult

-cheap : im relatively poor (college student) and i dont want to go too far over, say, $150

-relatively simple assembly: this is the section i have least experience in, but i think its the most exciting and visceral, so i would like a kit with a good introduction to sandwich board and soldering and what not.

Looking online, its hard to get a good feel of what the kit is like from their little advertising blurb, so if any of you guys have any good advice, i would appreciate it

Reply to
Zak Kus

Two kits I can recommend are these: Mark III -

Workshop Bot:
The Mark III is appropriate if you're trying to build a mini-sumo style robot. The SRS Workshop bot is what I'd probably use for anything else.

Personally, I prefer the AVR family for programming in C (free compiler). I programmed my Mark III in C as well, but that's not something I want to repeat (I'm a professional programmer).

You could also buy just the Mark III chassis, and use the same controller board that comes with the Workshop bot to be the brains (it was designed to mount on the Mark III mounts).

Anothe mini-sumo kit worthy of consideration for mini-sumo is the Sumovore

You can get a variety of brainboards for it.

Reply to
dhylands

many thanks, i opted for the "workshop level 1". Should be fun.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Zak Kus