(PR) New "econo" hybrid launch system from Pratt Hobbies

Herndon, VA, January 12, 2004: Pratt Hobbies (www.pratthobbies.com) is proud to announce a new product in their line of ground support
equipment for rocket modelers: the Minitanker Combo.
The Minitanker Combo is a package designed to help modelers start using smaller hybrid rocket motors (in the G and H range) as economically as possible. The package includes a 5-pound tank for liquid N2O, a custom-manufactured solenoid valve, and fittings to attach to all commercially-available floating-injector hybrid rocket motors. The Minitanker Combo is priced at $195.00.
Floating-injector hybrid motors use a nylon hose to fill the motor with N2O, and a small pyrotechnic igniter to preheat the combustion chamber and release the N2O by cutting the hose. Popular motors of this type are made by RATT Works, Sky Ripper Systems, Propulsion Polymers and West Coast Hybrids.
The Minitanker Combo is easily connected to any typical club launch system that provides at least two circuits of 12 volts for ignition of conventional motors. One of the circuits controls the Minitanker solenoid valve, allowing the motor to be filled. The other circuit attaches to the motor's igniter and functions exactly as it would with a conventional solid fuel motor.
"Hybrid motors have grown in popularity over the last few years," said Doug Pratt, owner of Pratt Hobbies. "Our Modular RTLS (Remote Tanking and Launching System) ground support system has sold very well. The RTLS incorporates its own battery and electrical control system, and is an outstanding value because it is the only system that will fill and fire all commercially-available hobby rocket motors, solid or hybrid."
"However, as hybrid motor technology has matured, smaller motors have come on the market. I am very excited about the new 29mm G and H motors coming soon from Sky Ripper Systems, and the RATT Works H70 remains our best selling hybrid motor. That inspired me to think about a 'minimalist' ground support system, something that would make it easier and cheaper for folks to start flying these small hybrids," said Pratt.
If your club has a multi-pad 12 volt launch system, or you have two standard launch systems of your own, the Minitanker Combo is all you need to start flying G and H hybrids. The 5 pound supply tank is adequate for 6-8 flights of an H motor, depending on conditions. The solenoid valve is custom manufactured to Pratt Hobbies specifications and guaranteed for life. Fittings are included to connect to all floating-injector hybrids in the G-H range currently on the market.
The Minitanker is not suitable for motors that are larger than H, because there is no "dump" valve to vent the tank in the event of a misfire. When you decide to upgrade to bigger motors, you can trade in the Minitanker valve assembly toward the cost of an RTLS-M2 system, which is suitable for any hybrid motor. Complete descriptions and documentation of the Minitanker and RTLS systems are available on the Pratt Hobbies web site.
The Minitanker Combo is available for immediate shipment from the Pratt Hobbies catalog web site, www.pratthobbies.com. Mastercard and Visa are accepted on the secure shopping cart.
Pratt Hobbies is a small manufacturer of kits and accessories for rocket hobbyists. Now in its tenth year, Pratt Hobbies is known for being the first to offer braided Kevlarฎ shock cords, Nomexฎ heat shields, and other unique and innovative products. Doug Pratt is the author of nine hobby books, including "Basics of Model Rocketry," and is currently writing a new book tentatively titled, "Hybrid Rocket Motor Operations Manual." He plans to publish it along with revised editions of some of his earlier books through a new publishing company, Robin Hill Press.
For more information, see the web site at www.pratthobbies.com, or send email inquiries to snipped-for-privacy@pratthobbies.com.
Add pictures here
โœ–
kudos to Doug.. now if we can just figure out a non-pyro actuated recovery system for hybrids, the future is now..
when is a model rocket not a model rocket? when its a G hybrid.....and weighs less than 1lb...heheheheh
shockie B)
Add pictures here
โœ–

Who offers G hybrids?
BTW a G33, G75, G125, F101 are all not model rocket motors either.
It had become an universal and almost uncontroverted position in the several States, that the purposes of society do not require a surrender of all our rights to our ordinary governors; that there are certain portions of right not necessary to enable them to carry on an effective government, and which experience has nevertheless proved they will be constantly encroaching on, if submitted to them; that there are also certain fences which experience has proved peculiarly efficacious against wrong, and rarely obstructive of right, which yet the governing powers have ever shown a disposition to weaken and remove. Of the first kind, for instance, is freedom of religion; of the second, trial by jury, habeas corpus laws, free presses. -- Thomas Jefferson
Add pictures here
โœ–

Both RATTWORKS and West Coast Hybrids have the technology.
Good thing too.
It will soon be needed thanks largely to TRA and HPR magazine and Aerotech.
Jerry
Proof:
http://v-serv.com/atf/HPR.12-03.p33.jpg
I cite things. Trolls do NOT.
โœ–
damn Bob what planet have u been on for the past year....? http://www.skyrippersystems.com/products/29mm.html http://westcoasthybrids.homestead.com/Home.html has a 38mm G undergoing cert
shockie B)
writes:

Add pictures here
โœ–

I see. SO none are certified at the moment.
Over the holidays I was shopping in a cooking store, and took a real close look at the whipped cream maker thingies. NOT for the whipped cream :-)
This is a country which stands tallest in troubled times, a country that clings to fundamental principles, cherishes its constitutional heritage, and rejects simple solutions that compromise the values that lie at the roots of our democratic system. -- Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1972
Add pictures here
โœ–
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD says...

Whippits?
Bob, didn't know you had it in you.
--
Tweak

Add pictures here
โœ–

80's flashback.....
Devo: If a problem comes along, you must whip it! Dazz Band: Let it whip, whip it baby, whip it right, whip it all night...
Followed by...
Gap Band: You dropped a bomb on me!
; )
Randy
Add pictures here
โœ–
"Whippets are small canisters of (N2O) nitrous oxide. The "whippet" cartridges look like standard CO2 cartridges, and are used to charge commercial cream whippers. When used not for it's intended purpose as in this reference, the gas is released from the canister into a balloon with a 'cracker' and then inhaled."
Anyone happen to know what sort of pressure the N20 is stored at in those cartridges?
--
Niall Oswald
================================

โœ–

Wow, didn't expect it to be so high. That's quite impressive, I can see why they're appealing for small hybrids. Are they available in any larger sizes?
--
Niall Oswald
================================

Add pictures here
โœ–

Is that like power to ALL the people?
โœ–
snipped-for-privacy@rocketryonline.com writes:

As long as it's certified so I can fly it at NAR launches, I'm interested.
We must have faith in our democratic system and our Constitution, and in our ability to protect at the same time both the freedom and the security of all Americans.
Add pictures here
โœ–
writes:

Bob, NAR launches are fun, and some are even competitive.
However,
You need to get out sometime and try a few non NAR launches and expand your horizions.
Add pictures here
โœ–
writes:

Not a micro-hybrid surely? I thought the general conclusion was that while interesting, cream-whipping cartridges won't give you better performance than BP motors, let alone small AP. I've seen one fly, and the performance wasn't very impressive, though it did make a nice sound :-)
How about smaller U/C valved hybrid motors (i.e. sub 29mm). I'm sure Propulsion Polymers list 22mm on their site.
I guess you'd start running into issues with weight of motor hardware/deployment electronics reducing your performance to the point where it might not be worth it (well, apart from the obvious technical/'rocket science' aspect).
Any ideas?
--
Niall Oswald
================================
Doug Pratt dad-at-pratthobbies-dot-com
Niall Oswald wrote:

while
performance
performance
point where

technical/'rocket
country
constitutional
values
Court
Add pictures here
โœ–
snipped-for-privacy@rocketryonline.com wrote:

Correct.
โœ–

I saw Roy Trzeciak-Hicks microhybrid (he makes them himself, see link below) and it certainly is a very nice piece of work. Unfortunately a wire broke on the MAD he was using for deployment and it, well, didnt...
http://www.hpr.org.uk/mhybrid/index.htm
Aerocon are selling something very similar at the moment too. (S'Creamer)
Deepsky seem to be working on some combination of an Estes motor and a cream cartridge.
I guess the key to small hybrids is small electronics...

But would be legal over here, which is a major advantage!

We're also not allowed to commit an 'act of manufacture', hence all the problems with APCP starter grains and the reason you can't make 'EX' solid motors over here.
--
Niall Oswald