anybody know some really good hybrid rocket kits?

Hey, i'm a beginner in the rocketry feild and haven't messed with much more than an estess rocket that ran an 1/4 A rocket engines. I know this sounds stupid but I'd really like to get a complete hybrid rocket kit to "play" with. I need something pretty basic with minor assembley, no hard to find parts, jus about eerything included, under $100 (sound to pickey?). If a kit like this exists i would like a like a link to the site where sell them. Please remember that I am beginner, if this is a stupid question, wel then, sorry for wasting you time.

thanks in advance

Reply to
ngdbud

after a little more reasearch i found Hypertech hybrid engines, i like what i'm reading. Anybody got some good reviews?

Reply to
ngdbud

Check out

. They have some hybrid ready rocket kits.

Les.

Reply to
Les Kramer

I'm just starting to use the RATTWorks H70 in my BSD Horizon 4". The URL is

and the kit is under $100.

I've been getting excellent hybrid support from Doug Pratt at

and he has that motor for about $60. He has a lot of "getting started" info about hybrids on his web site.

You'll have to use electronic ejection as hybrids don't incorporate an ejection charge. That alone will eat up most of your $100.

Does your local club fly hybrids? If not you're look> Hey, i'm a beginner in the rocketry feild and haven't messed with much

Reply to
Will Marchant

Going from Estes to Hybrids is quite a jump. You may want to certify level 1 on a regular solid fueled H motor first in order to get some experience with the bigger rockets. Since hybrid engines have no delay or ejection charge, you'll also need to learn how to use electronic devices like altimeters and accelerometers in order properly to deploy the parachute.

Not trying to discourage you, but by progressing in small steps, you'll save yourself much disappointment and possibly prevent expensive and catastrophic failures.

Brian McDermott

Brian/Joseph McDermott

Ya beat me to the punch, Les. :-)

than an estess rocket that ran an 1/4 A rocket engines. I know this sounds stupid but I'd really like to get a complete hybrid rocket kit to "play" with. I need something pretty basic with minor assembley, no hard to find parts, jus about eerything included, under $100 (sound to pickey?). If a kit like this exists i would like a like a link to the site where sell them. Please remember that I am beginner, if this is a stupid question, wel then, sorry for wasting you time.

There are no stupid questions, save the unasked ones. There is one thing that nobody's mentioned. You're about to get in over your head for your experience level and so I would suggest taking your time on this project. Also, as was mentioned, I doubt you can put a flight worthy kit together for under $100. Besides the kit you'll have to be getting electronics for your chutes' deployment (and black powder/Pyrodex as well as a means to ignite it). And if your local club doesn't have the ground support equiptment you'll need, guess who gets to foot THAT bill too? I'd say $300 might be a more realistic minimum, depending on the kit, electronics, and motor you decide to buy. I'm not trying to daunt you, just mentioning what I know you'll need in place. Better to know ahead of time rather than finding out the hard way after you've taken the plunge. Certainly I hope you're dealing with a club where there's folks with hybrid experience. Going solo on this could be something for the Darwin Awards. Don't rush things, have fun on the journey.......and take out a bank loan to finance it! :-)

Chuck

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

PML and LOC/Precision both sell hybrid-ready kits. I believe LOC's kits are all larger and more expensive, designed for 54mm HyperTEK motors.

PML has some that they've designed with the SkyRipper hybrids in mind, which fly quite well on 38mm hybrids.

If you want an inexpensive electronics setup to start with, consider the Magnetic Apogee Detector kit from Aerocon Systems
It requires some soldering skills, but for a bit more may be purchased fully assembled.

I fly my RATTWorks H70 and my SkyRipper 38mm hybrids with the MAD and it works like a charm.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

How similar / different is this from the one designed by RobG? I ordered Rob's version, and it was all surface mount parts. WAY beyond my Heathkit level assembly skills, but a fellow NIRA member assembled it for me.

Bob Kaplow NAR # 18L >>> To reply, there's no internet on Mars (yet)!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

On my first attempt to launch a hybrid I had a leaky vent line that pressurized the airframe. The payload bay fell off. Very embarrassing. A MAD would have triggered. Of course, you can come up with lots of scenarios that cause "premature eject-ulation." 8)

Another option might be a G-triggered timer like

which is slightly cheaper than an altimeter.

Ask around at your club. Maybe someone wants to sell a used altimeter? Will

Kevin Trojanowski wrote: ...

Will Marchant

It is the one designed by Rob Galejs; actually, it's a slightly updated version from the one I originally purchased. I think it now has a continuity light added to it.

My soldering skills also qualify as HeathKit level, and I didn't have any trouble assembling it. Just take your time and don't open any part until you need it.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski