Igniter dimensional constraints?

I've never done AP (I keep trying to resist the pull), but I have been experimenting a bit with igniter construction. So here's my question.

For a generic igniter, what would be the maximum acceptable thickness? In other words (I think), what is the narrowest throat/slot/whatever that AP motors typically have?

Reply to
bit eimer

It depends on the motor. Small ones are 1/8" - 1/16". Some cool ones are around 3/4" and use BLue THunder propellant from a small motor to light the motor.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Thanks Phil,

So there are really motors with a 1/16" throat or core (that's pretty small), or did you mean 3/16"?

Reply to
bit eimer

Reply to
Phil Stein

Phil, did you get a chance to go down to MDRA launch? I saw that 90% Harpoon. After seeing that flight I'm rethinking if I want to do my own Harpoon.

Reply to
lovs2fly

Ditto. The smallest will be from the BlackJack loads. The nozzle on the F39, a

24mm blackjack reload, is tiny.

steve

Reply to
default

7/64 DEF 5/64 BCD
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
Phil Stein

The Apogee D3 and B7 have ridiculously small nozzles...

IIRC, Tom B>Ditto. The smallest will be from the BlackJack loads. The nozzle on the F39, a

Reply to
Andy Eng

I have some F39 reloads and they are Blue Thunders. But I know the F12 is a black jack reload for the 24mm case.

Reply to
Zak Orion

Yep, my mistookie. F39 has a huge nozzle, it is the E11J I was thinking of. Reminds me of a period in time when there were some quality control problems coming out of Las Vegas. Some nozzles had no hole drilled in them at all, but worse yet, I had some E18 reloads delivered with E11J nozzles. That would have been an overpressurizing experience for sure.

steve

Reply to
default

"default" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.boeing.com:

If the nozzle diameter spec were part of the motor datasheet,then one could select a drill bit of the correct size to be certain you have the right nozzle or enlarge a too-small nozzle throat.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I'm told that AT has most of them somewhere on their website.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I remember those days with plugged nozzles--Simply cleaned and reused good nozzles to get by...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Eng

Phil Stein wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Far simpler to include the data on the motor's DATAsheet.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Found - under: resources certification documents

Reply to
bit eimer

I don't disagree. In fact doing so may reduce warranty claims for AT subsquently saving them money.

Reply to
Phil Stein

That would reduce the errortech "mystique".

Reply to
Jerry Irvine