Rocket Screen Saver Volume 2???

I'm seriously considering starting work on a project that will utilize my best rocket pictures from the past 2-3 years and am looking for feedback on several things, especially from people who have my original screen saver.

I've been to 5 major launches since LDRS 21. The source material would be from Three Oaks, MI launches in November 2002, April 2003, November 2004, NYPOWER X, and Southern Thunder 2004.

My primary question is distribution which could very well determine content.

For the original screen saver, which had 140 collage images, I had a professional CD pressed which included the screen saver executable in 4 different resolutions as well as all the raw images (for all resolutions). This turned out to be around 200 MB of data.

This time around, I'm debating the merits of direct download from my website. The issue is, of course, bandwidth - from both my hosting capacity and the target user's ability to download huge files.

If I go the direct download route, I'd probably not package everything together and just offer the screen saver executable (not the raw images).

Another option it to just offer up a zip file of the raw images without even creating a screen saver. Basically, just a "Best of" type collection of images.

The download route would avoid packaging and shipping costs but would probably limit content to some degree.

I'm leaning towards creating another CD so I don't have to worry about content size or running into bandwidth issues. I would most likely create CDRs this time around instead of having a professional CD pressed to control costs.

I suppose offering both download or CD (at a higher cost) is an option as well.

Also, last time around I purposely didn't include people in any of the images to keep it rockets only. Would you guys like to see some images of people (maybe yourself!!) in some of the new collage images?

Please let me know what you think. Feel free to email me directly if you'd like at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net.

Thanks!!

- Marc

Klinger Photography

Marc Klinger

GREAT NEWS!!!!! I have anxiously been waiting for this.

I prefer the CD(r) method as I like to have the images available...although I have never really used them for anything but the screen saver.

I vote for "just rockets"

Mark A Palmer

Reply to
Mark A Palmer

Cool! I use the screen saver at work, and it has generated comments. I've shown some of the photos to people I know who the rockets belong to, and they're happy to see they "made the cut".

I'd prefer the CD method, although I could live with the download as well. What'd be really nice is to be able to download just the screensaver, or the whole set -- I'd grab the latter and burn it onto a CD myself, to haul around w/ the laptop to show people.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Ditto the above! Joe Alain Satisfied customer

Reply to
MODROCKET

Thanks for the feedback, both here and via the emails I've received.

I'm definitely going to shoot for another CD as the primary method of distribution.

I have over 3300 images to go through, so it'll be nice to not have to worry about any size constraints.

No promises on when this new project will be finished, but it'll be fun to go through all of those pictures again with full resolution crops in mind!

- Marc

Klinger Photography

Marc Klinger