B SCREEN SAVER.

What a waste. In XP you can turn on a screen saver that you need a password to bring windows back on line.. I wanted to use this to keep my kid from using programs that change my computer settings and every few seconds bring up popups to tell me to insert a disk. But my kid found that all you have to do is go to properties and turn the screen saver off. Does any one know of a way to block him from doing this with out haveing to completely shut the computer off every time you walk away from the computer.

Reply to
bushbadee

wrong group, but

Create login profiles, You keep admin privileges. For the child you make him either a guest or a limited account. You can even prevent the loading of software.. A really good idea. A friend of mine has a daughter that dls everything in the world and then the machine crashes. start>control panel>user accounts

Reply to
SQLit

This is all he can do if all he has is Windows XP Home. If he has Windows XP Professional, he can do this:

  1. Click the Run... command on the Start menu and type "gpedit.msc"
  2. A window titled "Group Policy" should pop up.
  3. Doubleclick the last item on the list in the left sidebar, "User Configuration"
  4. Doubleclick the last item in the expanded list, "Administrative Templates"
  5. Doubleclick the third item in the expanded list, "Control Panel"
  6. Click the second item in the expanded list, "Display"
  7. Go to the right-hand panel and doubleclick the item "Hide Screen Saver tab"
  8. In the window that pops up, click the radio button "Enabled"
  9. Click OK.

There is no longer a place to change the screensaver settings, unless the kid knows how to follow the above procedure, or edits the registry. There are more involved ways to prevent a more determined attack, but this should obfuscate things nicely for a typical user.

Reply to
Garrett Mace

Wrong newsgroup.

Reply to
Brian

Hi Bushman,

Why don't you just logoff if you are leaving your computer for an extended time...you and your kid would have different passwords with different priveleges...might be a bit of a hassle, but so is life as a Dad....So the kids a chip off the old block huh! Take care, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Yea. He sure is Ross. It's a pain in the but to bring the computer up 3 times a day. He has two other computers to use, but he likes the graphics on mine and I do not have the ethernet connection going between all the computers yet so he can not sign on to the internet on the others.

But I have gotten some excellent ideas here. Thanks to all of you.

Reply to
bushbadee

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:38:48 GMT, "bushbadee" Gave us:

Dumbshit. You let him ON your PC logged in as an admin account!

Set up him as a NORMAL user, not a power or admin user. Then, your settings cannot be changed.

Set yourself up that way too. THEN ONLY log in as admin to make changes. That way even if you leave yourself logged in, he can't walk right up and make changes to your system. This is the most common mistake of all windblows users is to use the admin login. So what if it take a few extra MOMENTS to log off, and back on as admin to load a new program into the system? IT IS SECURE that way, if an MS system could ever really be allowed to make that claim at all, which technically they cannot.

The most common mistake you make in your usenet posts is to add that RETARDED "B" baby bullshit to your posting subject headers. Learn to conform, dipshit. Get over thinking that your are an individual in Usenet. You are a spec of dust here.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:24:13 -0500, "Brian" Gave us:

Top posted. You retard. You are worse than he is.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Ahhh yes, our usenet cop is back.......The pinheaded power supply builder from SoCal with dillusions of granduer! Get a life punk!

Reply to
Ross Mac

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 04:13:55 GMT, "Ross Mac" Gave us:

You're an idiot. Every post you make proves it. This one was just one more.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 04:16:26 GMT, "Ross Mac" Gave us:

No, dipshit. That is the correct posting method. IDIOTS like you make up little baby bullshit flames in attempts to make those of us that post correctly look bad. Sorry, dipshit, but you have failed, miserably.

Strange, you used to make up a bunch of retarded baby bullshit. You are improving. One out of three is still pretty bad though, dipshit.

I've got a punk right here for you. Want to meet him? Oh, that's right... you are too goddamned wussified to back up your baby bullshit.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Thanks for making my point!

Reply to
Ross Mac

Back? He's been a thorn forever! ...whatever he calls himself.

Reply to
KR Williams

message

He's like a bad leach field....the stinch never leaves!

Reply to
Ross Mac

The leach's stench is biting! ;-)

Hi Ross!