Jury convicts Ary on 12 counts of stealing NASA / Apollo / Space items

Jury Finds Former Cosmospere Director Guilty on 12 Counts

November 1, 2005

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - Former Kansas Cosmosphere chief Max Ary is found guilty of 12 counts in the theft and sale of artifacts from the Hutchinson museum and NASA.

After less than a day of deliberations, jurors convicted Ary of 12 counts -- including theft of government property, wire and mail fraud, interstate transport of stolen goods and money laundering.

He was found not guilty of one count of interstate transport of stolen goods and one count of money laundering.

Ary showed little emotion as the verdict was read, although he shook his head once.

Ary faces up to five years in federal prison and a 250-thousand-dollar fine on each of the wire fraud and mail fraud counts. He faces up to ten years and a 250-thousand-dollar fine on each count of theft and each count of transportation of stolen property.

--------- Jurors must still decide whether Ary must turn over money or items that prosecutors claim he gained from his crimes.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Reply to
lunarlos

Is Jerry living in Kansas now?

Reply to
default

Fed prison is nothing anyways... its more like a boy scout camp than a prison. In any case IF he gets jail time it will be at a federal prison camp (which is basically a pleasure camp) and if he got a good lawyer he can get the fine waived due to "inability to pay"

-- TAI FU

Tai Fu

Bar tender! Bar tender... I'll have what he's having!

Randy

<randyolb

How long were you in for, and how much pleasure did you provide the other inmates by dressing up as a boy scout?

Reply to
Vaga Bond

Obviously has never been to a Federal Prison!! The accommodations for long term inmates is horrible. As in worse than any state run facility. Medium security for short term or just about to be released inmates are much nicer.

Dennis

Reply to
D&JWatkins

for what he did it is highly unlikely he will go to a high security prison anyways. Unless he decided to get violent while serving his sentence in which the BOP will just have him transferred to a higher security prison until he learns his lesson...

-- TAI FU

Tai Fu

Hello Tai Fu,

Federal Prisons do seem to be very CASUAL unless you are in medium-high security. The low security ones, are like boys camps. Some of them you can actually WALK away from should you chose! Hinkley, the sick individual who tried to murder/assasinate Ronald Regan, is living at such a facility and can go home on the weekends ...

It is also my understanding, that you have access to a pay phone, bed with full matress, and eat pretty good food both in quality and quantity ... is this true? I guess for some, a low security federal prision, isn't such a bad thing.

BTW, you as an explosives guy, might find the following news storys interesting:

lunarlos

Tai,

For what he did, he may get the maximum as an EXAMPLE to others that might consider doing something along these lines; as if others haven't done so already!

I think he will get the maximum because of the above, and because of the types of items involved ... you see America (Humanity) landing on the moon, was the second greatest achievement for mankind. I say the

2nd, because the first is obvious ... Homo sapien's ability to adapt and evolve and not go extinct was and still is our greatest achievement.

I believe it was Arthur C. Clark (admited pedophile) who stated that,"thousands of years from now, the one thing that [WE] will be remember for, was our landing men on the surface of the moon". You see Tai, the moon landings are our future, "Pyramids of Gaza". As such, Ary will be made to pay in ways I don't hink he or his defense attorney know.

If Ary was just selling lamp shades, Picaso paintings, ancient Chinese Bone China, etc., then I would agree he gets at MOST 6 months low security federal prision, ala Martha Stewart, or maybe just house arrest for 6 months, and 5 years probation. Instead he was taking items that set our nation, and define our time in history. I see no difference in an Apollo 15 audio tape and the Declaration of Independance (Ary stole and sold an original Apollo 15 CM audo tape, not the DoI).

I guess we will see as sentencing for Ary is very soon.

Reply to
lunarlos

Tai let me clarify something as I know how this new group works and can anticipate the stupidity here:

The Delcaration of Independance is of greater importance than the Apollo 15 CM audio tapes. I just feel that they are both VERY important historical items with very important and long term historical revelance.

So I didn't mean that are on the same level, just are both VERY important in our history as a nation and as a society.

What is more important to U.S. citizens, and to free people around the globe? Why the DoI of course. Hope that places things into the proper persepective.

Reply to
lunarlos

I dont know, but according to the federal sentencing guidelines he will probably not do more than 4 years unless he has a reason for upper departure. However if he ratted on someone (and good chances he probably did, if a federal officer scared him enough) he will get even less time. Also nonviolent crime are generally placed in low or minimum, at the worst medium low. People only go to USP or max for violent crime or terrorism.

-- TAI FU

Tai Fu

Did the feds scare _you_ into ratting on someone?

Is that why your sentence was reduced?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Reply to
Vaga Bond

no I did not rat on anyone, I don't have anyone to rat on anyways. My offense isn't that serious to begin with...

-- TAI FU

Tai Fu