My rocketry launch....

I got this rocket, looks like a micromaxx on a stick... set one propped up, light the fuse, and WOOSH it went, then it hits apogee at around 100 ft, then BANG it went. cost about 6 cents a pop...

better than nothing though... cant even find estes around here. was pretty loud for a small rocket though, I actually saw one guy held it between his fingers and light the thing, then let go when the thing went, I wouldnt want to know what that would do to his fingers should one go bang instead of woosh...

Reply to
tai fu

Those'd be "bottle rockets", Tai. I still have 2 gross from a couple of 4th. of Julys ago...

Finger launching is an acquired skill... Practice makes perfect...

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

You say that, but....

Since I got in this hobby, I've developed a whole new respect for fireworks. For example, I've seen guys duel with Roman candles, holding them by hand and shooting at each other.

While seemingly foolish, it's not all that dangerous. With a reasonble distance, it's easy to avoid being hit.

The thing is, though, getting hit isn't the dangerous part. Having one in your hand when it catos is the danger. Having seen the case split all the way down the side of a C5-3 is enough to realize what can happen to your hand. Hopefully, the heat will cauterize the blood vessels while it's cutting off the fingers.

Tai's right. What happens when that bottle rocket catos? I'm less concerned about it hurting your hand, but the rapid deployment of debris at arm's length is where the threat is.

Sorry if I sound like I'm scolding you, Tod. I'm not. I'm just glad I got back into the hobby. Practicing safety inside it has helped me think safer outside, too.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Well, for the sake of argument, there's a *large* difference between the size, and therefore (ooo, I hate to use this phrase in this group) "destructive potential" of a 10 ball roman candle, a C5-3, and a bottle rocket. Also, look at the construction of a typical bottle rocket (*if* that is in fact what Tai had). Fairly small rocket motor, and fairly small bursting charge at the end of a 12" stick.

Now, not that I'm advocating adopting this procedure for the masses, I've had lots of them CATO at arms length with no effects. Again, for the listening audience, these would've been _bottle_ rockets. Teeny micromax sized motors at the end of a long, rather thin stick. They were _not_ 36" long "Mega Hyper Particle Accelerator With Report" jobs that you'd pay $10 apiece for at the roadside stands in Tennessee...

I don't hold roman candles anymore since many moons ago, one decided to unload its burning contents aft-wise... Good thing I had my legs spread... I would never advocate holding a C5-3 period.

Honestly, I've injured myself far more seriously with common hand tools...

You made me cry. Should I go to my room now?

You're right Doug, and I'm not disagreeing. There's an element of risk in anything. The best people can do is to thouroughly understand what those risk(s) are, and adjust their actions accordingly.

Like riding a motorcycle without a helmet, for instance..

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

Sounds like something an over the counter cream couldn't cure.

Reply to
Tim

I know someone who had a Roman Candle shoot out the rear while holding it. The shot went down the sleeve of his long sleeve shirt. Now sports a nasty scar. We quit playng gunfight with them after that.

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

As kids we used to prove our manhood by holding Black Cat firecrackers and letting them explode in our hand. (It didn't hurt any more than the rulers that the nuns used.) Bottle rocket fights were common also, but last summer I had the misfortune to light the Roman Candle that CATO'd and burned up a whole table filled with fireworks. (Several hundred dollars up in smoke, but no one hurt.) Ever seen a "wave" of fire from five feet away? I have. I don't play with fireworks anymore now that I know the risks. (Although I still catch myself driving without fastening my seat belt.)

Reply to
fishhead

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
asimins

Don't use starting fluid to crank a Harley while you are sitting on it, either. Talk about stupid things to do...

Felt like Wile E. Coyote

We are talking about the bottle rockets that are about 1/2 the size of a cigarette with the ~foot long stick, right?

Those are not really hazardous as long as you don't poke yourself in the eye or stick a lit one in your mouth.

How else would everyone see the crazy hair?

Reply to
Kurt Kesler

And it sounds like it would hurt......LOTS! ):-()

John Stein

Reply to
John Stein

"Crackering Balls" can be avoided by using a grounding strap, or by maintaining proper humidity levels with a room humidifier.

Do not handle semiconductor devices if you have Crackering Balls.

If you must pick up a semiconductor device and you are not wearing a grounding strap, you should discharge your Crackering Balls by touching them to a grounded metal object first.

Reply to
BB

Kinda like trying to kick start a Honda 750 that had a stuck needle in one of the carbs, stuck open, that is. Filled the cylinder with gas and damn near broke my leg trying to displace the fluid. I wish someone would have caught THAT on video. It's funny now.

Crazy feathers? :-)

John

Reply to
John Stein

I think you were proving something other than your manhood.

As a kid, I also played around with firecrackers. On day I was lighting them and throwing them, one at a time. One went off about about 6 inches out of my hand. My hand was stinging for some time, and my ears ringing. I never did that again. I'd rather take a rap from the ruler. The most fun was launching tin cans...

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

No doubt, except when the can lands on the hood of Uncle Bob's brand new 66' Buick Riviera. Wow, was he ever pissed.

Jim Rutkowski Executive Chef - TrailerTrashAerospace

Jim

Do Not Taunt Crackering Balls.

Reply to
RayDunakin

What if they're Happy Fun Crackering Balls?

John Stein

Reply to
John Stein

If you forget your grounding strap, the Debbie Boone song, "You Light Up My Life" will have a whole new meaning.

Reply to
Tim

Definately! I had the best luck with Vienna Weenie cans.

Reply to
Tim

Here's a *unique* one:

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

If I wear the grounding strap, will it show under street clothes?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis