First launch this weekend. A little trouble :(

I bought the Estes Tandem 1469

And went out yesterday to fire the Amazon rocket. The launch went fine with the B6-4 engine, but when we retrieved the rocket, the engine mount had me lted a bit. Specifically, the end cap that you put on the hold the engine i n place melted in the area that is in direct contact with the engine. We we re able to get the engine out and fire a second one, which only melted it m ore. This engine was substantially harder to remove, but we were finally ab le to get it out. At this point we expected to get one more launch out of i t before it would no longer work. The third launch had some other trouble t hough, with the parachute not deploying, and the entire tail section was lo st (blown off the tube). I think I was not careful when I packed the chute in.

My question for the group though, is the engine mount melting a common prob lem? Is there a way to avoid it? We were hoping to use some larger motors, but at this rate, I don't know if it is a smart thing to do. Are the mounts easily replaced? Are they sold separately? Are there mounts made out of mo re melt-resistant materials (perhaps for other rockets, or for the Amazon)?

Reply to
Skip Morrow

There seems to be no mention of your melting problem associated with this model. It's not possible for me to give you any meaningful opinion without seeing it. Be sure you have the mount constructed properly. If the nozzle is recessed into the mount things will burn. Read up on how to pack a chute and protect it from the ejection charge. Make sure the nose cone is snug but not too tight. Select the proper delay time for when you want the chute to pop. Deployment at apogee stresses the chute system the least but could mean more walking to retrieve your rocket if you find it at all.

Have fun and learn.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi