nose weight

Phil Stein wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And it also addresses many of the environmental concerns.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

My experience is rocketeers are downright COMPULSIVE about returning their parts and pieces.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Lead weights in our models are not an environmental polution issue. It;s not like bullets or shotgun pellets, which are destined to become scattered about the land.

Bob Kaplow

I don't think it matters much but what the farmers say is what counts. Maybe stuff could get ingested by live stock? Doesn't ingesting lead make you dumb? What's the difference between a dumb cow & a smart one?

Another mystery - or is it a mosaic that will be revealed.

Reply to
Phil Stein

model rocket that

Reply to
Mike

I used to enjoy balsa-finned Alphas on E25 motors at optimal mass. They required quite a bit of ballast, and I worried that a solid piece of lead would be lethal. My solution was iron filings.

-Larry (yours may not be :-) Curcio

Reply to
Larry Curcio

The primary concern with lead shot has been waterfowl. Ducks, Geese, etc., can ingest shot from previously fired rounds while feeding. Here's a short:

I would suppose that in addition to lead killing the animal, sinking your teeth into a drumstick that's infused with lead probably isn't very good for the hunter's body, either.

Most birdshot loads now use steel, or a combination of bismuth and steel.

RE cattle, you're right Phil, in that they're dumb enough already, and a little lead probably would not really make any difference at all. Ever heard of "cow magnets"? They're capsule shaped high strength magnets that farmers ram down the throats of cows to collect all the iron based crap they eat along with whatever they're actually trying to eat. Nuts, bolts, nails, pieces of fence, etc. The magnets remain in their stomach, trapping all of the garbage so it doesn't puncture anything on the downstream side.

A friend of mine, a local farmer, who handles his own "beef requirements" has a little collection in his workshop of junk he's extracted from slaughtered cows' stomachs.

Eyebolts, beer cans, bottle caps, several matchbox cars, plastic sandbox toys, chain, nails... the display is truely amazing...

FWIW..

tah

Reply to
hiltyt

I weighed it today & it's still 27lb. If that much concrete hasn't have significant loss over the last 2 years, I don't think it will be a problem for most people.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Since when does a G require a L1? The ratings are based on impluse NOT propellant weight. I thinnk you are wrong.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Incorrect! But they *ARE* HPR motors because they have more than 62.5g of propellant, so you need L1 certification to fly one.

Bob Kaplow

launches), and if it's over 62.5g, it's HPR, regardless of impulse.

Not according to NAR.

"High Power Flyer

In order to purchase and use rocket engines beyond the G power range, you must be an adult who has been certified as qualified by a recognized rocketry research organization. Membership in the NAR empowers you to apply for this certification.

NAR high power certification is free to all adult NAR members, and is offered in three distinct steps.

In order to qualify to purchase and use engines of power classes from H to I, you must obtain a Level 1 certification, for which you are required to: "

And note that the issue is motors not total weight, so a 9 motor cluster of G's does not require a L1.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

From the NAR web site...

Level 1 allows the purchase and use of H and I impulse class motors. Certain F and G motors may also require Level 1 certification for purchase and use.

From NFPA-1127...

3.3.17.1 High Power Rocket Motor. A rocket motor that has more than 36 lb-s (160 N-s) but no more than 9208 lb-s (40,960 N-s) of total impulse or an average thrust greater than 80 N or more than 2.2 oz (62.5 g) of propellant and that otherwise meets the other requirements set forth in this code.

and

4.1 User Certification. Only a certified user shall be permitted to launch a high power rocket.

and

5.1 Sales Only to Certified Users. A high power rocket motor or motor reloading kit shall be sold to, shipped to, stored by, and used only by certified users.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

More futher down on that page: "Who Needs High Power Certification? A person needs high power certification if he:

-Launches models containing multiple motors with a total installed impulse of 320.01 Newton-seconds or more, or

-Launches models containing a single motor with a total installed impulse of

160.01 Newton-seconds or more, or

-Launches rockets that weigh more than 53 ounces (1500 grams), or

-Launches models powered by rocket motors not classified as model rocket motors per NFPA 1122, e.g.: a Average thrust in excess of 80.0 Newtons b Contains in excess of 2.2 ounces (62.5 grams) of propellant c Hybrid rocket motors "

They should update that first page.

Joel. phx

Only matters if your state has adopted 1127.

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Or if you are flying at an NAR launch since NFPA-1127 is where the NAR rules come from.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

If NAR insurance changed tomorrow such that the safety code became more strict, it would no longer match 1127. Such a change may (or should) never propagate into 1127. It is more likely if a 1127 change ever gets through committee, it will propagate to the safety code.

Joel. phx

Which came first 1127, or did the safety code become the insane 1127?

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Which has ALWAYS been a BAD rule in light of the 125g MR (NAR) and 125g FAA (exempt)limits.

Just proposer Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

IF a frog had wings it wouldn't bump its ass so much.

The fact still remains that the NAR rules and NFPA-1127 are in agreement today so some F and G motors are HPR motors and require Level 1 certification for use at any NAR launch or in states where NFPA-1127 has been adopted.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

Is that written somewhere? I've never heard this.

launches), and if it's over 62.5g, it's HPR, regardless of impulse.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Yeah, it originates with the NFPA. See Mario Perdue's posts in this thread for the cite.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Thanks.