[OT?] SD to CF adapter???

Lst night I stumbled into a local electronics stores going out of business sale and picked up a bargain, a Canon S1 IS for $128! OK, it's their display
model, no box, manual, 8MB card that only holds a couple pictures, or "stuff" and it's been pawed for a while. But it still has the full warranty.
At any rate, I've already got half a dozen electronics gadgets that use SD cards, and a number of assorted SD cards. But this camera needs CF. I hate to invest in another technology. Have you ever seen or heard of an adapter that lets you use the smaller SD cards in CF devices? If so, who makes them, and where can I find them?
Second, any one got experience with this camera? Particularly for rocket photography? It's certainly not the SLR I really wanted, but it was #2 on my non-SLR list behind the Panasonic Lumix cameras, and the deal was too good to pass up.
Vulcans believe peace should not depend on force. -- Amanda, "Journey to Babel," stardate 3842.3
Bob, this might be what you need... http://www.flash-memory-store.com/cf4in1.html
paul.

Shax wrote:

Interesting. It would most likely work as long as it would physically fit in the camera. (suggested use is PDAs)

Looks like that sticks out, like the USB thingies that let you read multiple format cards. But I did find a couple that are totally enclosed in the CF slot that looks like it will work.
Vulcans believe peace should not depend on force. -- Amanda, "Journey to Babel," stardate 3842.3
Bob Kaplow wrote:

There's no adapter I know of, to allow such a thing, but cf is the most economical of the memory cards. You can get a 1 gb card for like $50 if you shop around. 8 in one usb memory card readers can be had for as little as $10
I don't know about the other formats, but I've seen cf cards as large as 4 gb! Also there are cf micro drives.

I've already got a bunch of SD cards that I'd like to be able to use.

That doesn't do thje camera any good. It does let me read my CF and SD cards via a USB post. I just picked one of these up with the camera $25 - 70%, and my wife's new computer has one built in to the front panel.

I've seen them/
Vulcans believe peace should not depend on force. -- Amanda, "Journey to Babel," stardate 3842.3
On 23 Jun 2005 12:11:34 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Don't bother with all that crap. You can get a good sized card ot the right type for $50 or less. You won't have an adaptor sticking out of the camera that is going to break.

As I said, I've got several "good sized" SD cards already. And if I stick with SD, then I can share them with my other gizmos, and even put the SD card into my PDA to view the pictures I've just shot.
Vulcans believe peace should not depend on force. -- Amanda, "Journey to Babel," stardate 3842.3
Phil Stein wrote:

Yes, you can get a "good sized card" for $50 or less, but to feed a $50 1GB card to my camera would make the camera pointless -- slow memory drops mine from 5fps to 3pfs, once the buffer fills. It also makes a tremendous difference when pulling images off of the card or reviewing them on the camera.
There's a reason some cards cost more than others....
-Kevin
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:01:11 -0500, Kevin Trojanowski

I doubt that it matters in Bob's $110 camera.
What kind of digital camera do you have that can do 3-5fps? I have a motor driven Canon AE-1 that does it. It has allowed me to get some really great shots.
Phil Stein wrote:

Canon EOS 20D. It costs a little more than $110...
Even the Digital Rebel XT will do 3ps. The 20D does 5fps until the buffer fills; with a fast CF card, I can get 32 frames before it slows down.
-Kevin
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:25:37 -0500, Kevin Trojanowski

Thanks. I'll check that out next time I'm looking for a camera.

Interesting. My new Canon S1 has reference to similar. But it's maximum frame rate is not quite 2fps. Do digital cameras document the buffer size?
This is a country which stands tallest in troubled times, a country that clings to fundamental principles, cherishes its constitutional heritage, and rejects simple solutions that compromise the values that lie at the roots of our democratic system. -- Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1972
Bob Kaplow wrote:

I'm guessing the numbers Kevin is quoting, are right out of the manual. I don't recall the exact numbers, but My fujipix has similar frame rates as I recall. Also, different resolutions and compression settings can affect the fps.
On 24 Jun 2005 12:09:06 -0500, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

One thing I observeed about most digital cameras if that they suck in the fps area.
On the $110 vs $130 number -what's $20 between friends. 8-)

The point was it's not a cheapo Digicam, it's a pretty high end non-SLR camera marked down from $600 to $130.
    Homeland Security Administration: The Gestapo of the 21st Century
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Canon lists the S1 IS on their website; is that what you purchased?
If so, the main reason it's expensive is that it has image stabilization, which is a pretty slick technology that adds $300 - $500 to the cost of anything that contains it. Otherwise, it's just a nice 3.2mp camera.
Canon makes some darned nice optics.
-Kevin

That's the one!

That's the reason it was #2 on my list. #1 was the Panasonic Lumix series, also with the OPTICAL Image Stabilization (MUCH superior to digitil I S, which loses much resolution to do the stabilization). I took the camera out for a non-rocket spin yesterday. The IS is what makes it worthwhile. With a 10X zoom (.76x wide to 7.6x tele) you really need the IS at the telephoto end. It means you can shoot a rocket on a far away pad without needing to put the camera on a tripod.
I'm waiting for a chance to use it at a launch.
And back to the original topic, Chris Taylor emailed me that these adapters do exist, and he has and uses one. I've been to a bunch of local stores. No one ever heard of the thing until the one I stopped at on the way home from yestardays avtivity. They thought they had them but culdn't find any. Since it's just a couple miles from my office, I'll check back with them next week.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin Historical Review of Pennsylvania. 1759
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Canon's IS works like a charm -- I've used an EOS 10D with the 70-200 f2.8 IS and it's just incredible. One downside to it is that it consumes batteries faster.
The next lense I want is the 300mm f4 IS (well, okay, I really want the 300mm f2.8, but let's just stay in reality as to what I can afford in this lifetime).

What? No thread drift??? But nobody has blamed anything on TRA yet! 8-}
I've seen the converters, as well. The challenge is finding someone who has them; I'm sure you could mail-order one, and from looking on Amazon, it appears that Office Depot sells them.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)19785502/sr=8-11/ref=pd_bbs_11/002-6581911-8993649?v=glance&s=electronics&nP7846
http://tinyurl.com/d76bf
In reading some of the info on Amazon, it appears that they don't all work with the larger cards, so that may be something to watch for.
-Kevin

That's why you feed them high capacity NiMH...
I'll have to do a comparison with the IS on and off and see what the fdifference in run time is.

That's an xD to CF adapter at Office Depot.
People who exercise their embryonic freedom day after day, little by little, expand that freedom. People who do not will find that it withers until they are literally "being lived." They are acting out scripts written by parents, associates, and society. --Stephen R. Covey