[OT?] SD to CF adapter???

Lst night I stumbled into a local electronics stores going out of business sale and picked up a bargain, a Canon S1 IS for $128! OK, it's their display model, no box, manual, 8MB card that only holds a couple pictures, or "stuff" and it's been pawed for a while. But it still has the full warranty.

At any rate, I've already got half a dozen electronics gadgets that use SD cards, and a number of assorted SD cards. But this camera needs CF. I hate to invest in another technology. Have you ever seen or heard of an adapter that lets you use the smaller SD cards in CF devices? If so, who makes them, and where can I find them?

Second, any one got experience with this camera? Particularly for rocket photography? It's certainly not the SLR I really wanted, but it was #2 on my non-SLR list behind the Panasonic Lumix cameras, and the deal was too good to pass up.

Bob Kaplow

Bob, this might be what you need...

paul.

Reply to
Shax

There's no adapter I know of, to allow such a thing, but cf is the most economical of the memory cards. You can get a 1 gb card for like $50 if you shop around. 8 in one usb memory card readers can be had for as little as $10

I don't know about the other formats, but I've seen cf cards as large as

4 gb! Also there are cf micro drives.
Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Interesting. It would most likely work as long as it would physically fit in the camera. (suggested use is PDAs)

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Don't bother with all that crap. You can get a good sized card ot the right type for $50 or less. You won't have an adaptor sticking out of the camera that is going to break.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Looks like that sticks out, like the USB thingies that let you read multiple format cards. But I did find a couple that are totally enclosed in the CF slot that looks like it will work.

Bob Kaplow

I've already got a bunch of SD cards that I'd like to be able to use.

That doesn't do thje camera any good. It does let me read my CF and SD cards via a USB post. I just picked one of these up with the camera $25 - 70%, and my wife's new computer has one built in to the front panel.

I've seen them/

Bob Kaplow

As I said, I've got several "good sized" SD cards already. And if I stick with SD, then I can share them with my other gizmos, and even put the SD card into my PDA to view the pictures I've just shot.

Bob Kaplow

Yes, you can get a "good sized card" for $50 or less, but to feed a $50

1GB card to my camera would make the camera pointless -- slow memory drops mine from 5fps to 3pfs, once the buffer fills. It also makes a tremendous difference when pulling images off of the card or reviewing them on the camera.

There's a reason some cards cost more than others....

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I doubt that it matters in Bob's $110 camera.

What kind of digital camera do you have that can do 3-5fps? I have a motor driven Canon AE-1 that does it. It has allowed me to get some really great shots.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Canon EOS 20D. It costs a little more than $110...

Even the Digital Rebel XT will do 3ps. The 20D does 5fps until the buffer fills; with a fast CF card, I can get 32 frames before it slows down.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Thanks. I'll check that out next time I'm looking for a camera.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Does the TMT certification data list the card delays?

:-)

Bob Kaplow

Well, my $130 camera is actually a $600 camera that was being closed out by a store going out of business...

Bob Kaplow

Interesting. My new Canon S1 has reference to similar. But it's maximum frame rate is not quite 2fps. Do digital cameras document the buffer size?

Bob Kaplow

I'm guessing the numbers Kevin is quoting, are right out of the manual. I don't recall the exact numbers, but My fujipix has similar frame rates as I recall. Also, different resolutions and compression settings can affect the fps.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

If it made it onto the list, then obviously, it passed. 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

One thing I observeed about most digital cameras if that they suck in the fps area.

On the $110 vs $130 number -what's $20 between friends. 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

Canon doesn't give the buffer size in terms of bytes, kilobytes, etc, but rather in terms of images. They specify how many frames at JPG max resolution (23), how many at medium resolution, at max res RAW, etc.

To give you an idea as to the difference, at 5fps, the camera will fill the buffer in 23 frames. With a fast card (one of the fastest as tested in that camera), it takes 32 frames before it slows down. A slower card will drop it down sooner.

The EOS 10D writes to the CF much more slowly, so fast memory doesn't make a difference with the camera itself, but does make a difference when downloading to your PC.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

The point was it's not a cheapo Digicam, it's a pretty high end non-SLR camera marked down from $600 to $130.

Bob Kaplow