Aiptek PenCam 1.3M SD Camera $29.88 at WalMart

For those looking for a potential rocket-cam, there have been several sightings of the Aiptek PenCam 1.3M SD camera priced at $29.88 at WalMart. It's actually mismarked on the shelf tag as a PenCam Trio VGA, but it's the much newer model.

This is a 1.3 megapixel CMOS sensored digital camera. It's got minimal built in memory, but supports SD memory card expansions.

Words of caution, these things are sloooooow scan. Bright sunlight is best for pics. Of course, what better place to find sunlight than a 1000 feet up? There is a 10second delayed snap feature, so some simple push, run, and launch may be possible for a single pic. There's also a video feature that, depending on how big an SD card you use, should allow plenty of time to start "filming", retreat to the launch control, and have it capture a typical mod-rock flight duration.

For $30 (plus SD card cost) you won't be risking much.

ScottE

Reply to
ScottE

Can someone who has one of these check and see if it is AYUCR compatible. Here's what you need to do.

1) Power the camera on, and time how long it takes before it auto powers down. 2) Turn it on again, and this time, once it's on, hold your finger on the MODE button for significantly longer than it took for the camera to power down in step one. 3) Report if it stayed on, or shut down. The VGA models (including my Pencam-2) that work with the AYUCR will stay on if the mode switch is held down. Reports are that some of the newer models do not. I've given the AYUCR designer a suggestion on how to possibly solve this problem.

Bob Kaplow

For those looking for a potential rocket-cam, there have been several sightings of the Aiptek PenCam 1.3M SD camera priced at $29.88 at WalMart. It's actually mis-marked on the shelf tag as a PenCam Trio VGA, but it's the much newer model.

Not mis-marked on the shelf tag apparently mis-marked at the factory with the wrong UPC.

[...]

Shuts down in approximately 60 +/- 3 seconds.

2) Turn it on again, and this time, once it's on, hold your finger on the MODE button for significantly longer than it took for the camera to power down in step one. 3) Report if it stayed on, or shut down. The VGA models (including my Pencam-2) that work with the AYUCR will stay on if the mode switch is held down. Reports are that some of the newer models do not. I've given the AYUCR designer a suggestion on how to possibly solve this problem.

No Bob it does not. Powered off in about the same time as not touching the button.

BRich

even a 32meg card will hold 80-100 shots.

Just have it keep firing.

Chris Taylor Jr

I want a camera that can take 2 megapixel video and I'll settle for 24 seconds of video on a 256 SD card.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Length of video is not the problem. FPS is the problem.

AIPTEK has a new mini dv that has a hardware res of 2mp and can shoot video with sound upwards of an hour using upto 512meg CF cards (cheaper than SD card by a large margin)

it is $120 at best buy and even has a built in speaker and LCD screen for playback.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

I'll check it out. Thanks Chris!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

How about checking to see if the mode button is pressed momentarily before the 60 second time-out will it stay powered up?

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

can not do that. must push all the time or not at all since the moment you RELEASE the mode button it will do just that. change modes.

also I just tried it and it did NOT work. after about 5-10 seconds it says For on the screen so I tried pushing the shutter button and that just causes it to change modes. so even if it keeps the camera on its useless since you can not take pictures if you hold the mode button. Grrrr

I just need a Quarter sized circuit to simple press the button once ever second.or ever 3 seconds or so.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

I've seen them on sale for as little as $40 after rebate.

Bob Kaplow

It's not quite quarter sized, but you should check out the AYUCR controller. It's what I've used for mine. It's 2.5 x 1.125 x .625.

And in checking the web site, I see Rob has come up with a solution to work with Pencams that don't do the mode trick. I don't know what he's tested with, but do give it a try.

Bob Kaplow

I'll have to keep my eye out for a bargain on one of these as I found the camera at a local Wally World today (at the $29.88 price).

-- Best regards, Mark Daughtry, SR Ignorance is bliss unless you are surrounded by it. Ignorance is like bad breath: You usually don't know you have it. NAR 71556 SR L1 MSRS Vice-President NAR Section #550 MSRS #0035 SR

Reply to
M.Daughtry

Under "MEMORY" click on "Flash Card" then select the card type you want. Right now I see generic 128MB SD cards for as low as $38 including shipping, and name brands in the mid $4x range. Also watch the Sunday sale fliers from places like Best Buy. A couple weeks ago they had 4 flavors of 128MB flash cards, each $39.99 after rebate.

I'm still looking for one of the Pencam SD cameras for the 29.88 price. I've checked several stores near me, and all I've found is the VGA. If any one finds a place that has one, and is willing to ship one to me, let me know. I'll gladly pay the purchase and REASONABLE shipping price. And even throw in a draft choice for your trouble.

And for the folks that already have the SD model: does it use the same peecee software to download its brains. Or with the SD card, do you just use one of the card readers directly connected to your peecee to get the images?

Bob Kaplow

Staples store, today, sandisk 128 mb for $50 w/ $10 rebate, or skip the rebate and buy the PNY version for $45. Walmarts were also @40 bucks. Also, the whole ayucr mods thing seems to me to be a bit overdone for this as the movie mode shoots continuosly with push of the button...so, load the rocket on pad, power on camera, push record, walk away, launch, recover, stop record, repeat. At 640x480 you get 5 minutes of video from it w/ 128 mb card. Quadruple this at 320x240. Hundreds of pics per flight. Not 1.3 megapixel, but the aiptek interpolation software is pretty good, actually. Just my 2 cents.

Art T South Jersey Area Rocketry Society NAR# 34201 L1

Reply to
SirWmOsler

The AYUCR was the solution to limited memory cameras. My Pencam II only takes 26 shots, and has to be manually triggered for each one. In video mode, it's got about 7 seconds at 3 fps. Not even enough time to run away and launch.

Even with the SD and a 128MB card, I think you can get higher resolution out of the camera in single frame mode than video.

Bob Kaplow

rebates suck unless they are instant.

GOOD deal.

Best Buy. Thumbdrive. 256mb Sandisk Cruzer. $50 after instant on the spot rebate.

HOW can you beat that !! wow. at that price I got one since the 128mb version is $69.99 :-)

Chris Taylor Jr

yes and no. BUT nice thing (KUDOS Aiptek) images recorded the the SD card are Open.

IE jpg's and avi's in a folder like any other camera.

I have yet to every use the aiptek software again. Just plop the mem card into my reader and download.

Chris Taylor Jr

actually video mode is just that. single frame that it stitches together.

Odly I prefered the way the old pencams did it.

indivdual frame tha software they "stitched" together into an AVI.

if you went to the download folder you could nab the individual frame. sadly you can no do this with the new one. but I am not interested in 640x480

I want to finally make gorgeous 4x6's and decent 8x10's from 1000ft up and the SD makes that tantalizingly possible.

The reason I want a circuit is so I can get MANY nice shots from a flight.

also that 7sec is enough. Wide sumo stance. rocket in right hand on pad controller in left. press button shield eyes press launch button. Run like hell :-)

I was using c6's so no big deal but you still do not want a face full of burning BP I can not imaging it would feel good. but that is how I got my vids :-)

Chris Taylor Jr

Welcome to the next Herb Desind :-( Worry about fingers, not faces... And re-read the safety code!

Bob Kaplow

safety code only applies if you want to be nar legit. I just wanted videos.

Finger well away. Back facing model

that is why I like the older pen cam trio. long enough a record time that time was less an issue. a quick spint 10 feet to the controller was viable.

with the short run even having someone else launch is no joy since they still have to punch it while your standing their.

the ayucr timer while nice is useless for me. it misses precisely the most important part of the flight. Ignition and liffoff.

I got video where you can see the Spark of the igniter and hear the engine ignter plug "ping" the deflector plate.

Cool stuff. with the ayucr you are half way up the rod before it even starts :-(

Got to do what I got to do.

So long as I do not try to blame nar etc.. for my "risk taking" I see no problem with it. I understand what I am doing and the risks associated with it and I accept them.

The risk was minimal and the rewards quite wonderful.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr