[OT?] SD to CF adapter???

Canon lists the S1 IS on their website; is that what you purchased?

If so, the main reason it's expensive is that it has image stabilization, which is a pretty slick technology that adds $300 - $500 to the cost of anything that contains it. Otherwise, it's just a nice

3.2mp camera.

Canon makes some darned nice optics.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I knew it wasn't an el cheapo but until now, you didn't do to great a job making that point.

Let me know when you give up and buy a new card for it. 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

That's the one!

That's the reason it was #2 on my list. #1 was the Panasonic Lumix series, also with the OPTICAL Image Stabilization (MUCH superior to digitil I S, which loses much resolution to do the stabilization). I took the camera out for a non-rocket spin yesterday. The IS is what makes it worthwhile. With a

10X zoom (.76x wide to 7.6x tele) you really need the IS at the telephoto end. It means you can shoot a rocket on a far away pad without needing to put the camera on a tripod.

I'm waiting for a chance to use it at a launch.

And back to the original topic, Chris Taylor emailed me that these adapters do exist, and he has and uses one. I've been to a bunch of local stores. No one ever heard of the thing until the one I stopped at on the way home from yestardays avtivity. They thought they had them but culdn't find any. Since it's just a couple miles from my office, I'll check back with them next week.

Bob Kaplow

Well, I haven't given up, but I did buy a CF card Friday. Office Max had them on sale, with an instant erbate and a mail in rebate. Plus my company discount at OM, after rebate a 256MB card will cost me $9.

I'm still looking for the adapter, so I can use all my old cards, and only buy new cards that I can use everywhere.

Bob Kaplow

Canon's IS works like a charm -- I've used an EOS 10D with the 70-200 f2.8 IS and it's just incredible. One downside to it is that it consumes batteries faster.

The next lense I want is the 300mm f4 IS (well, okay, I really want the

300mm f2.8, but let's just stay in reality as to what I can afford in this lifetime).

What? No thread drift??? But nobody has blamed anything on TRA yet! 8-}

I've seen the converters, as well. The challenge is finding someone who has them; I'm sure you could mail-order one, and from looking on Amazon, it appears that Office Depot sells them.

In reading some of the info on Amazon, it appears that they don't all work with the larger cards, so that may be something to watch for.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

That's why you feed them high capacity NiMH...

I'll have to do a comparison with the IS on and off and see what the fdifference in run time is.

That's an xD to CF adapter at Office Depot.

Bob Kaplow

The EOS line use rechargable battery packs; for folks who need a lot of power, Canon offers a "battery grip" which attaches to the bottom of the camera and holds two batteries. Or, if you're a glutton for subsidizing Eveready, the battery grip will allow you to use AA batteries on the

20D, but they don't last long!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski