Re: Baby Bertha NC Pics on Binairies

how does that work? I am a bit confused as to how deployment goes.
pics of the rest of the rocket might help.
good work on the nose tho. high quality

--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

CJC wrote:

<snip description>
Your workmanship is sickeningly good :)
How did you cut the plates? CNC machine? :)
Outstanding craftsmanship.
Doug
Please Doug......are you trying to swell my boxhead even more??? :-) No fancy pants tooling here! A mini lathe and drill press are stuff of my dreams!!!
Any skills have been learnt the hard way....I just try to be neat & tidy..... God.....If only my mother heard that!!!
The following was used -
0.8mm Ply. A cordless drill & 3mm drill bit. Long 3mm bolt, 2 washers & a nut. 180 & 240 grit sand paper & cork sanding block. Scissors Hobby knife Steal ruler Trusty old pencil. Glue
A compass and protractor would have been real nice but I couldn't find my old school kit!!! Just measured everything instead and traced around Nose / Tubes for circles.....
With all my small rockets (Estes/Quest type things) I use 0.8mm ply for Fins, Bulkheads, C-Rings etc..... It cuts really easily with a good pair of scissors and for fins, just one slice from the hobby knife... :-)
I draw up the plan/template and then cut out the main ring etc. with scissors just slightly larger than is required (On the outside of the line). If I need a thicker ring or bulkhead I just cut the required number of plates and glue them together with wood glue. Use those paper clip clamp things from your newsagent to hold together, or squash under 2 sheets of thick glass with books on top. This Bertha NC uses 1.6mm plates......2 plates glued together...
Drill the 3mm hole in the centre, put the bolt thru with a washer on each side, put the nut on & tighten up. Put in the drill chuck & spin her up. Sand to size. Check fit regularly and take it easy!
For the centre hole, I VERY Slowly cut/traced around it with the hobby knife. Take your time here also, it can save frustration later on!!! A couple of passes around, pop out the centre and sand smooth to fit tube / MMT All other cuts & holes are made, hopefully, on their marks.
There's another 'Almost' finished NC pic on my caveman style website. :-) Has the moon shaped cap ready to be glued on after adding nose weight....
http://www.angelfire.com/space2/thundadownunda/RocketPics.html