Re: Shelf life of West Systems hardener?

How long should West Systems hardener last in the can?

> >I have some that I bought two to three years ago that has turned purple in >the can. The pump doesn't pump very well either. > >I have a small can of hardener and small pump. I've been transferring >hardener from the larger quart size can to the small can so I don't have >to make such big batches. > >Brian Elfert >

IIRC epoxy (resin or hardner - unmixed) never really going bad, just that it might crystalize or partially crystalize in the container. It can be returned to it's originally consistancy by placing the can in a warm/hot water bath. From the RAKA user manual (boat building epoxy similar to West): "(6) Epoxy has an indefinite shelf life but can crystallize over time, especially in cooler temperatures. Try to store your epoxy at room temperatures. Never store it in freezing temperatures and don?t store it on a cold concrete floor. Crystallized and freezing exposed epoxy can be brought back to normal with no loss of properties by moderately heating and stirring it. Placing your epoxy containers in a pail of 120 degree water should be sufficient."

Reply to
JIM

Cool. I'll have to try this. Maybe I have some hardener crystallized in the pump.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Another trick that was passed to me by Ron Schultz of LOC is to nuke it for a VERY SHORT time. THis has fixed crystalized epoxy for me. But I'd try the hot water bath first, as there's less risk of over nuking and generating noxious fumes.

Bob Kaplow