Re: Taking Ejection Charges out of motors

The issue here is the post-facto rulings went opposite the "field of play" rulings.

So given the court precident it could certainly prevail as a legal arguement.

The likely "result" would be a reversal of the post-facto ruling with no monetary compensation, even for costs.

What is truly sad is at NAR, the "Contest Board" is consistently and historically "arbitrary and unfair" in its rulings (not unlike TRA and membership removals and motor vendor lynches), that one cannot ever expect a fair or reasonable ruling from "on high" so the FIRST instinct is to look to a higher power charged with being fair on SOME level (not perfect either).

My experience as a long-time contest host is CB rulings went AGAINST the written rules more than 70% of the time.

This indicates it is ego driven, not fact driven.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I gave serious consideration to some sort of court action. However, did not want them to do the right thing only because some judge forced them to, I wanted them to demonstrate that they were decent enough people in a worthy enough organization to do the right thing, and I gave them that opportunity. After they failed to set things right, I was ready to pack up and leave immediately, never to associate with such again. I would have, except I did not want to bail on my teammate, especially when we had not yet been screwed in R&D.

I doubt that we could have convinced any DA to start a criminal action. Maybe conspiracy to defraud or some such unlikely thing. It would have likely been a small claims court action to recover damages in contest points, trophies, prizes, and the National Team Championship. It is hard to assess the damages in being denied the National Championship. Sure, it was a years worth of time building, traveling, and competing lost, but perhaps with a championship pedigree, I would have started a model rocket company... A court case might have been interesting, because George Cook, NAR legal council, would have been in our corner, or at least (conflict of interest ya know) been a powerful witness to our case.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

Frack yes, but cut the guy some slack. Maybe the incidents at NARAM-22 helped him become the better person that he is today.

That almost sounds like damming faint praise.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones

One would think after they did something similar to a dozen or more people in all sorts of different situations, they would learn.

No such luck.

Jerry

It would be civil. You would have a paper as valuable as the one Dave Grayvis keeps posting over and over.

Who got it instead?

Saved!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Over a contest with toy rockets.

And as it appears people would actually consider such action, I am literally sitting here shaking my head...speechless. Inconceivable.

Reply to
Tweak

Welcome to my world :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Tweak wrote:

Kurt,

While I appreciate the inanity from this perspective, going to court over on-the-field calls is not unprecedented. George Brett and the pine-tar bat quickly comes to mind.

How is this any different?

That said, I imagine the players would change the call now if they could. I see this as a rare blemish - ie, human - on a mostly stellar record.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Potentially millions of dollars versus a supposedly "for fun" event?

Reply to
Tweak