Re: Ultimate Endeavor Modification- UPDATE!

That was how we did our first 98mm bore, when we went to a 75mm bore, my hand was too big to get a dremel in and cut out the scrap... so we went to nesting. You can pick up cheaper hole saws, don't bother with the Bi-Metal expensive ones.

Erik Gates

I promised I would report back after making the modification to my Ultimate > Endeavor so here goes.... > > The original plan was to convert my 54mm motor rocket to a 76mm motor mount. > Erik Gates offered a suggestion (below) and I set out to give it a try. My > first trip to Home Depot revealed that a hole saw sized for a 76mm tube was > out of the question. 3" was too small and 3.25" too big. Besides this each > hole saw was $15! I left disappointed. > > Thought about it some more and remembered the suggestion to just go for 98mm > and adapt down to 76. The 4inch hole saw would work very well for this. > Unfortunately Erik's suggestion to nest a bunch of these saws and get the > extenders to reach into the rocket was out of my price range. It would have > cost over $100 so I looked for alternatives. I ended up buying some 1/2 inch > threaded rod and some nuts and washers along with the 4" saw. I turned a > small 54mm disk in scrap aluminum and bolted it to the rod in front of the > hole saw to act as a guide as it traveled up the motor tube. This would > still require me to stop every couple inches and Dremel out the parts but it > was cheap! > > The good news is that the finished job is perfect. A clean hole through > three 1/2 inch centering rings and 6 G-10 fins. Eyeballing down the length > of the fins shows that the line is dead straight. Bad new is it was messy > business. Lots of bad smoke, cutting with the dremel cut off wheel deep in > the rocket and I was sure I would smash the rocket every step of the way. > Knuckles are a bit sore but it is done. If the rocket had been a > conventional 3 fin rocket I would recommend this process to anyone as "the > first 6 inches" were relatively easy. It was the long forward fins that > really were the most difficult. > > Thanks for all the suggestions, > > Stuart Leslie > > > > Buy a 54mm Hole saw and grind down the teeth so it will be just a guide. > > > Buy hole saws that will nest all the way up to the 75mm size you want, > > > actually you need to bore it out to about 78mm (the outside dia of the > > 75mm > > > motor tube) Use the holes in the hole saws or drill your own and bolt > > them > > > together. Put a couple of nuts in-between the 54mm and the rest so it > > > sticks out in front, this will be your guide. Use drill extensions and > > bore > > > it out! Wrap the booster in blankets, and strap it down, it wants to > > spin! > > > Use a Aeropack retainer, it bolts to the bottom bulkplate, and the motor > > > tube is just a guide, the retainer will be you thrust plate as well.We > > bored > > > out some of our earlier rockets, and have learned to just make the motor > > > mounts as large as possible, you can always adapt down! Why make it > > 75mm... > > > go to 98mm, or you will be boring it out again next year! :-) > > > > > > Erik Gates > > > Gates Brothers Rocketry > > > > > > P.S. The reason you nest the hole saws, is if you just use 54mm and a > 78mm > > > hole saw, every 2", the depth of the cut, you have to go in with a > dremel > > > and cut out the 54mm tube and fins to allow the hole saw to keep > cutting. > > > If you nest the saws they chew up all the material and allow you to bore > > > continuously. Just have a vacuum close by, it makes a mess! > > > > > > > Anybody tried to convert a rocket from a 54mm motor mount to a 76mm > > after > > > > the rocket is built? > > > > > > > > I built my PML Ultimate Endeavor intending to use it for my Level 2 > last > > > > year but ended up using a smaller rocket with a J350 based on motor > > > > availability. Now I am mostly just flying sugar motors (a lot cheaper > > for > > > > certain!) but my AMW 54mm casing will only get me up to a full "J" > motor > > > > with sugar. I am building some 76mm hardware and would like to > > reconfigure > > > > the rocket to a 76mm mount. The endeavor has two sets of fins at the > > > bottom > > > > and they are quite large. Looks like a lot of tricky dremel work to > me! > > > Not > > > > too mention the 3 half inch thick centering rings already installed. > > > > > > > > Anybody do this kind of operation before? Any tips? Should I bother? > > > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > > > Stuart Leslie > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Reply to
Erik Gates

Necessity is the mother of invention eh? (I don't know who) Improvise, adapt, overcome! (Clint Eastwood as Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Highway)

Reply to
Dale Martin

Good point Erik, My knuckles are pretty scratched up just from dremeling the 98mm. No way I could have managed with 75mm. I went back in tonight and put some beefy internal fillets on the fins before I put in the motor mount tube. This would have been pretty difficult as well at 75mm with the three centering rings. After reading your post I took a look at McMasters and found 3 1/8 inch hole saws. These would probably do the trick. If anyone has a source for the cheap(er) hole saws I would appreciate it, I can't seem to find anything less than $12 each for the larger sizes.

The only problem now is I have started looking at 4" aluminum tube stock for making a 98mm motor! That large motor mount beckons! 98mm sugar motor should really take this rocket for a ride!

Stuart Leslie

Reply to
Stuart Leslie

Yah, Harbor Freight has a whole set for $12.99:

Might only work once or twice before they're used up, but then, how many times are you going to do this before you start building them big to begin with :-)

--tc

Reply to
Ted Cochran

We are now firm believers of making it take the biggest motor possible! Can always adapt down, adapting up requires way to much work. But the cost is much less than building a new booster.

Erik Gates

PS The 1/10th scale Saturn 1B will have 5 6" motor mounts, can always go down in size. but if it ends up to heavy, don't want a garden statue...22' Tall, 26" dia. Should stat build parties next month if all goes well.

only

you going to do this before you start building them big to

Reply to
Erik Gates

Where is a narrow beam light sabre when you need one...

Bob Kaplow