Re: Waterrockets and Cd

In answer to your question, yes there is a way. I even have a VB3 program that does it. The sensitivitiy to timing error is remarkably great. Also, the Cd you measure in a drop is apt to be in a rapidly declining region of the Cd/speed (or reynolds number if you prefer) graph. It will likely be higher than a Cd that accurately describes your flights.

(One of these days, I'll convert the drop program to an Excel spreadsheet. The solver can be invoked to do the backtracking. It still won't solve the speed problem)

I suggest you use a range of Cd's. For example, I use

0.5 - 0.9. If, for example, you are trying to determine optimal mass (very important for water rockets) you can

1) Determine optimal mass at the extreme values.

2) Average the optimal masses you derived there; 3) Substitute the average mass at the extremes; and 4) Observe that the altitude penalty for the error is negligible.

If your simulations are good, and if you have a pressure gage, then backtrack the Cd from observed altitudes. Would suggest that you use no ballast in Cd determination flights. Extra-light rockets will not go as high, but the flights will have a lot of drag influence, so your errors will be smaller. Use average values from many flights.

FWIW, near optimal mass, Cd has virtually no affect on

**cutoff** altitude and velocity.

Hi all

> > I am a waterrocket enthusiast and I also like math. To calculate the > height, time etc... of my rocket, I need to know the coefficient of > drag. > > Is there a way to calculate the coefficient of drag if you drop an > object (in my case a rocket) from a known height and measure the drop > time? > So you know the height and the falling time, and you want to know the > coefficient of drag. > > Any help would be appreciated! > Pieter
Reply to
Larry Curcio

Found an ancient regular basic program to determine drag coefficient from drop time. Uses Newton's method to adjust Cd to give entered drop time.

Not sure how bulletproof this is.

Drop test formula and its derivation in _Topics in Advanced Model Rocketry_ Mandell, Caporaso, and Bengen Currently available from MIT Press

Suggestion, use an average time over several drops. Try adjusting that time by +/- .1 seconds and observe effect on Cd.

10 REM ****** DROP TEST PROGRAM (LARRY CURCIO) ****** 15 DEFDBL A-H, O-Z 20 G = 980: PI = 3.14159265#: REALBIG = 10000: RHO = .001161 30 EPSILON = .00001: WORKMAX = 17.04 40 CLS 50 GOTO 500 60 REM ================================================================= 70 REM ****** BENGEN'S DROP FUNCTION - HEIGHT FROM TIME ****** 75 F1 = 0 80 VTERM = SQR(G / X) 85 WORK = T * SQR(G * X) 90 IF WORK
Reply to
Larry Curcio

Don't you know by now that Fred is now going to claim that Chuck actually wrote this, and then Jerry will claim he published it in CRm...

:-)

Consider this stolen for my collection.

Bob Kaplow

:)