Removing cured epoxy from tools?

Is there any solvent to remove cured epoxy from tools like scissors? My friend was helping me fiberglass tubes and was cutting the fiberglass
cloth after he epoxied it.
Maybe it would just be cheaper to pay $1 for another pair of scissors and keep these for the next fiberglassing session.
Brian Elfert
now I am sure I need glasses.
I read this as
removing cured epoxy from toads ?
Brian Elfert wrote:

There's no solvent that will remove epoxy that I'm aware of. However, on metal scissors you should be able to just chip it off with a small chisel or screwdriver.
Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-SR ARSA #418

Anyone ever try paintstripper to remove cured epoxy? Maybe one of the more nasty types would do it. Epoxy is just a form of plastic.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Brian Elfert wrote:

Hit it with a heat gun; it'll crystallize if you get it hot enough and you'll be able to scrape it off.
Of course, if it's a cheap pair of scissors, you'll burn more electricity and time than the scissors are worth.
-Kevin

Sure, but throwing stuff in a landfill that can be reclaimed is pretty silly. Actually, these could be used for more epoxy/fiberglass work, just not for anything like cutting paper or anything like that.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

A sharp craft knife does the job nicely.
G.
--
Graham J. Platt
graham (a) bowhunter (d) demon (d) co (d) uk

Yes it would be.

When that happens, I use a box cutter type knife to cut it off. In my case, all that's usually left on the scissors is a pretty thin layer. Also, it would be a good idea to spray your scissors with a release agent before they get gkue on them.

I've got some epoxy-gunked scissors and they work fine for cutting off stray bits of epoxy-soaked glass (like the bits you get at the edge of the cloth).
I guess the answer is that if you want to keep them clean, clean them before the epoxy cures :) That's pretty obvious though, and no help once its set. West System do sell a cleaner for removing unset epoxy, I find methylated spirits does a good job of removing uncured epoxy. Just don't knock a pot containing meths you've used for cleaning epoxy-laden brushes over the floor. I'm very glad I had a thick plastic mat over my carpet when I did that!
--
Niall Oswald
================================

Does the cleaner cost more than a new set of pumps?
On Sat, 21 May 2005 16:59:14 -0400, Phil Stein

No. 1 Litre of cleaning solvent costs about 25% of the price of the two pumps together. I would estimate that it takes approx 50ml of solvent to clean a pump.

I took mine off the bottles when I left for Uni (late September), I had fun getting them going again at easter! I had to take the hardener pump right apart, the little ball inside was stuck completely. The hardener seems to crystallise when left, the resin pump was fine.
The pumps are good, but I've ended up with quite a few large plugs of wasted epoxy, one pump full is a lot of epoxy! Syringes are very handy to have for mixing up smaller quantities. Then again, when you work out how much the stuff costs compared to buying it in 'hobby shop' bottles, its very cheap.
Might have to invest in some of the cleaner, I feel a CFS order coming up.
--
Niall Oswald

Like I said, heat and solvent will get it right out.
Heat alone (approximately 140 degrees) will melt crystallized but un-mixed resin or hardener. No solvent should be needed.
-- David

wrote in message>> A combination of heat (dunking in warm water) and this stuff, will

Ok for tools perhaps but a bit trickier for the insides of the pumps. Hot water alone isn't very effective.
--
Niall Oswald

Not absolutely required, no, but it certainly helps ease the process.