Repair advise needed for airframe brocken above coupler tube

Hi,

My Aerotech strongarm hit the deck and destoyed the nose cone and the top half of the airframe.

I had to cut the airframe off flush with the coupler tube and now I'm at a loss as to how to fix it. The plan was to find something that fits just inside the coupler tube, then glue on another coupler tube so I can attach a new airframe section but I cant find anything that fits.

Anyone got any good ideas about how to repair something like this?

Cheers.

Reply to
Impakt

Get some extra coupler tubing of the size in question and cut a strip out of it lengthwise so you can make a "coupler coupler" that fits inside the ID of the original coupler tubing? You could glue this inside the original coupler, and then put some full- diameter coupler tubing over that to mate to the upper airframe.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Is it possible to peel the coupler tube out of the airframe? If not, you could take a stock coupler and cut it down to fit inside the existing coupler. Then, another stock coupler to join the existing airframe to whatever length of airframe you add.

Stones

Reply to
stones

Aerotech has an exterior coupler for their tubes. Just order one and slide it over the outside, glue, and then glue in a new piece of airframe. Did this exact operation on my Astrobee after the tail end came in ballistic. Yes, the coupler can be seen on the outside, but it flies very well. It doesn't protrude much at all.

-Digger

Reply to
Digger

Peel the coupler out, and put a new coupler, tube, nose cone on.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If you do that you could use the external coupler only as a jig and remove it after gluing.

Kinda bogus as compared to my previous suggestion considering you have to get replacement parts anyway.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Agreed! Peel out what's left of the coupler and put in a new one. Had to do this once on a coupler that was glued in with 30 minute epoxy. I cut the coupler flush with the airframe, and picked the edge of the coupler with a razor, and peeled it out. I was able to completely remove the coupler with no damage to the airframe.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

X-acto and needle nose pliars.

Please pardon the tech posts.

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Since you need an almost-full length of tubing for the repair anyway - strip what's left from the coupler, sand down any excess paper/glue, and put an entirely new tube on.

Reply to
Len Lekx

or cut just below the coupler tube and install new coupler and tube

Reply to
LeRoycom

Hi,

Thanks to all replies.

I Think I will go with the idea of putting a slot in a coupler tube and fitting it inside the existing coupler. Getting the original coupler tube out would be a nightmare as it's pretty long and I have the added problem of strakes being glued to the bottom portion of the original airframe section that I had to cut off.

The OD coupler sounds kinda cool...I think it would look pretty good in fact, provided it had nice fillets...It would look a bit like the warhead payload section on some rockets I've seen, but since I only have 40mm of airframe from the top of the strakes, I don't think it would be strong enough.

I agree this fix should be in the FAQ.

Thanks again for your advise!

Impakt. (bad omen?)

Reply to