Rocket Launching System - Design Compromises...

something I have always wanted is an intelligent launchpad...the way its works is this...

at the launch pad is a wind vane/anoenometer so that wind speed and direction can be determined at the launchpad location....these two weather devices produce electrical signals which are put through an adc which then goes to a pic or stamp pc controller....the pic/stamp controller is programmed such that it can tell what these electrical signals mean..ie wind speed and wind direction.....the pic/stamp controler then generates a signal to a series of stepper motors such that the pad rotates in the correct direction and then the launch rod is automatically tilted with the wind direction...for maximum altitude flights..

Now I realize that nobody really knows what angle the launch rod should be tilted with x amount of wind speed, but you could make a table up and program it.....

after this all works, the next step would be to integrate wireless lan technology into it such that the information that is collected and calulated is send to a pda or laptop where the operator of this intelligent launchpad could "override" the calulations if need be......also include a launch controller too..

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Yup... but I think it was a different part of the system we were talking about - how to analyze the continuity signal, instead of sending it direct to the console. :-)

THAT would be useful. :-)

That depends on *where* you're putting the network intelligence. My current plan involves putting the controller in the 10-pad distribution box, rather than at each individual pad. Your pad boxes would be used 'as-is' with the distribution box receiving the commands to arm the pads, toggle the launch relays, fill/purge hybrid tanks, etc.

Reply to
Len Lekx

No... but if you want to hear a continuous tone, it should be continuous enough to not make a difference. :-)

I'm still learning low-level programming, and I was hoping to avoid using interrupts for anything other than receiving the first "address" byte of the command sequence.

Shouldn't be *too* hard to implement, though...

Reply to
Len Lekx

Remember that this tells you nothing about winds aloft. I've seen many a rocket drift under chute in a completely different direction of the surface wind.

Mike F.

Reply to
Mfreptiles

If it polled the server for the data of the rocket on the pad, ran it through a ballistic flight program, the angle could be estimated to within 5 degrees azimuth and 1 degree elevation.

Rather than expending resources on the motors and stuff to aim the pad automacically, it could be aimed manually from the calculated answer.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jerry: yeah I forgot to say the pic/stamp controller would have a rocksim like program in it, where it would know the correct angle to tilt to.... and I want it to be automatic instead of manual, with the ability to do a manula overiride for example as there may be times,wind conditions, field size,etc where you may want to launch into the wind, ie weathercock on purpose.....

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

But a "weather rocket" could be flown and the data from that put into the prtogram for offset. An endeavor could be flown before every Pathos :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Never create something you can not control...

;*)

Patrick - look>something I have always wanted is an intelligent launchpad...the way its

Reply to
IceAge

NFPA-1122,1125,1127?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine
3-POINTER!

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

I dunno... from the tone of that particular sound-bite, it kinda implies that humans *built* the Cylons, rather than being a separately-evolved race.

Gotta see what kind of FX they cook up for it, though. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

That's more a case of trying to control something that was being created with or without our input.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Both

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You would have to sample at a high enough rate, of course. In the case of the ~1KHz continuity tone, you would have to have a >2KHz sample rate on the ADC and have enough bandwidth to send this over your digital link, plus overhead. Then put multiple pads on the same digital channel and you have a bandwidth problem. All of this would be useless because the continuity *information* changes at a relatively slow rate. If you had a status a few times a second from each pad, that would be more than enough info, and your datalink wouldn't get bogged down. Plus, it's simple enough to reproduce this tone on the other end by toggling a pin.

You could probably pole the pin to measure the period of the tone instead of using an interrupt, as long as you don't have anything else to do in the microcontroller that's critical.

Between David and me, you'll have enough ideas to keep you so busy you'll never finishing the project! ;)

-John

Reply to
John DeMar

Well... since the LCO would only be able to 'select' one tone at a time, that removes the bandwidth problem. :-)

I got to thinking last night about that... what I came up with is this:

I use a tone-decoder set to the range of frequencies the pad-box can signal. This would produce a square-wave that gets sent to the interrupt pin. On interrupt, the MCU starts a timer that's programmed as a pulse-accumulator, which will count the pulses of the pre-decoder signal. It watches another pin, which is tied to the post-decoder signal, to determine when to stop counting. Since your pad boxes are set up to produce four pulsed-tones per second, I multiply the accumulated count by 4 to give me the frequency. That info gets sent back to the LCO, for reproduction at the console.

Sure beats my sleep-fogged idea of using a frequency-to-voltage converter, a sample-and-hold, and an ADC... :-)

Finished, heck! All the stuff I've got to figure out, I may never even get *STARTED*! ;-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

In your opinion, that is. It's easy to sit back and tell people not to comply with federal requlations based on untried loopholes, like you do. That's unethical and irresponsible. And always wrong.

WB

Reply to
WB

Based on a literal (and consistent with the spiritof the law) reading of the law as written and CITED to refute his misdirection and misinfoprmation.

At what point is an actual law cite recognized by the "common man"?

DeMar? Never.

You?

I call massive bullshit by you and cite the LAW itself!!

I still await an alternative or opposing cite - from anyone.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That's in keeping with the original story line from the late 70's but they didn't state it that much and it may have been snipped out for more commercial time, when it went into syndication.

Randy

Randy

Reply to
Randy

I guess it depends on what you take as 'the' word on the subject. The original books go deeply into how the Cylons were a reptilian-evolved lifeform, that augmented themselves with machine parts over centuries of time. In one of the TV episodes, Count Iblis expounds that he encountered the Cylons at the beginning of their organic-to-machine development, and imparted a hatred for humanity into their subconscious minds... as well as making the voice of the Imperious Leader mimic his own.

Have to see how they work it...

Reply to
Len Lekx

Jerry, What are the dates of the regulations you state? Are they newer than the HSA? I do know they make new laws and regulations to fix loop holes in old regulations so I was just wondering if they were over-riden by the HSA.

RDH8

Reply to
Robert DeHate