Electronics projects for Rocketry

I haven't been sniffing enough flux, so i decided to crank up some electronics projects

radio transmitter unit tone (pratt micro beacons+ TX unit) morse beacon (NorCal memory Keyer) sensors (temperature,pressure,acceleration,direction,axial forces)

555 timer delay (staging, parachute ejection, event trigering) video (ebay $.01+$30 shipping, anyone get good range yet?) Pic Microcontroller (event sequencing) high voltage source for ion drive Ion drive wheatstone bridge for strain guage

Anyone else think of something not on the above list? sky's the limit here

Reply to
Tater Schuld

I have an idea in mind for a microcontroller-network-based launching system. A few preliminary specs:

4-pad simultaneous (Drag-Race) launches support for 500+ pads, controlled in groups of 10 Multi-pad hybrid capability single CAT-5 cable for communications between LCO console and pad arrays RS-485 standard for communications allows pads to be placed up to 4000 feet away from LCO console - incorporation of line-repeaters may extend range. (Alternative - radio tranceivers to link system to away-cells) Continuity detected by array-controller, *and* returned to LCO console for redundant verification
Reply to
Len Lekx

Howabout various sensor projects?

3-axis magnetometry UV and IR backskatter detectors Particle, gamma, and x-ray counters/detectors atmospheric molecular species sensors (CO2, CO, Methane, etc, etc) pressure sensors temperature sensors
Reply to
Marcus Leech

Test it at Rockfest and if it works, the launch can refund your materials costs.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

here's some ideas

- LEDs and flashing circuits for night launch rockets. simple, fun, crowd pleasing. there's plenty of LED flasher kits available but nothing special for rockets.

how about one of those magic wands that spells out a message when you wave it? put one on the side of the rocket and "HI MOM!" or "FUBATF" or whatever.

- and, how about a battery that can power LEDs for a short while but weighs a lot less than a 50 gram 9V? maybe rechargeable too?

9V are typically rated for about an amp-hour. the LEDs don't need to flash for hours, they need to flash for 15 minutes on the pad and < 2 minutes of launch and recovery.

- model/MPR/HPR flight capable fuel cells?

- general purpose telemetry unit that does not require a ham license to use?

- general purpose video & sound memory recorder... say, NTSC composite in, stores it in some kind of very robust semiconductor memory.

for that matter, make a general purpose data recorder! maybe 10Mb bandwidth, allocated in up to 10? channels? records for a minute. unit survives and data is retrievable even after power failure, hard landings, etc.

- yesterday the JDR catalog arrived and it has a $50 micro-radar kit. that got me thinking, hmmm, how about a landing deployment system that works at configurable AGL. that would be great for popping out the legs of a mars lander ... or deploying an airbag with a rover in it ... or or or !

- does anyone have a clip system that will detach at launch? what I was thinking for my "Jupiter Icy Moon Orbiter" was, put an SCR on the 12v ignitor power from the LCO. then the "ion thruster" blue LEDs would light up when you push the button. put a short delay timer on the real ignitor wires and then you could "power up" the rocket in stages.

so, is there a reliable, serviceable, lightweight quick disconnect connector system that might be appropriate for model/MPR/HPR rockets?

... I think I have seen pictures of a hybrid NOX connector that blows off at launch...

- I like your ion drive project!!!

Tater Schuld wrote:

Reply to
Cliff Sojourner

Yes.

Yes

And a ground based radar rocket speed and position sensor.

I find it to be relatively low priority.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

KISS principle?

Reply to
tater schuld

Right now, I'm still in the "How the he%% am I going to get it to do THAT" phase of the design. :-) I have some ideas for hardware and software segments, but getting them to run as a coherent whole is going to be something of a challenge.

Reply to
Len Lekx

Reply to
Deaver

Good Gracious, no! :-) I'm working on this as a test-bed for my building and programming skills... more of a research project than a marketable concept.

Besides - if I wanted simple, I'd build an Estes or an Aerotech launch controller...

Reply to
Len Lekx

You hit upon my limitation about going wireless. Maybe a second-generation system will incorporate RF spread-spectrum links, but I don't currently have a ham license.

It can be done, but the setup I'm envisioning would require three distinct channels (one for LCO-to-pad, one for pad-to-LCO, and one for continuity tone)... either as three separate frequencies or as a multiplexed signal.

Besides, would rolling up a few hundred feet of what is essentially telephone wire be all that bad...? :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

I envision a misfire alley setup (discreet pads a distance from each other along a 1/2 mile flight line).

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

802.11g?

Local area radio transmission?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Only if you have been flying rockets for three days, you are tired, it is 100 degrees and the wind is 35 miles an hour and everybody else just left :)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

True enough. Still... I have to learn a bit more about RF communications links before I try one out myself.

As it is, this system will probably go through several hardware/software incarnations in the process of construction. I'll likely do a one-pad-at-a-time version, before doing four simultaneous pads. One hybrid pad, before 10+, etc.

Like I suggested in an earlier message, this is going to be a test-bed and R&D system, rather than a pre-set goal. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Wireless LAN? I'm *not* going to try to wrap my brain around the nuances of TCP/IP programming. :-P

Reply to
Len Lekx

Dun that too?

Give Mike a talking to, he might just be able to help

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Have you considered an optical link?

You could mount the ignition source at the pad. Use a suitable phototransistor for a sensor and a laser pointer for a sending unit.

Or possibly cannibalize the IR send/recieve from any obsolete home electronics.

Reply to
Al Gloer

all in favor of Len here being on ground crew cleanup say "aye"

trust me, after rolling up 25 feet of wire thats been through mud, grass clippings, and "stuff" one can forsee the horrors of doing that with hundreds of feet.

Reply to
tater schuld

so get the ham liscence! a bit harder than the level 2 HPR test, but not much moreso.....

plus you can do all sorts of cool radio/rocket stuff

and talk to the ISS

Reply to
tater schuld