Source For Kevlar Thread

Hey Dudes and Dudettes,

I am looking for a source for Kevlar thread, in the Austin, TX area. The best I have been able to find, is ultra lightweight stuff (good for shroud lines), in the fly-tying section of a local sporting goods franchise. Is there a national chain outfit, be it sporting goods, carpet materials, clothing, etc... where the stuff can be found?

Reply to
Greg Heilers

What test do you need? Fliskits has 8lb kevlar.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

You can also get different weights at: apogeerockets.com

Reply to
David Pohl

Not too many vendors sell Kevlar thread. If you can handle buying a lifetime supply (or what appears to be a lifetime supply anyway) try the Saunders Thread Company.

This is the page with their Kevlar thread specifications:

They sell it in one pound spools.

I went in with a group in the Dallas area a few years ago and picked up a spool of the Tex 120 (FF/3) and Tex 400.

Greg Heilers wrote:

Reply to
David Schultz

Try World Wide Kites over on McNeil Dr. in north Austin. I've purchased 100 lb. test kevlar there in the past.

Note that kevlar has fallen out of favor with the kite folks in recent years, so your results may vary...

James __________________________ James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

jduffy

In favor of what?

Caused by mil hoarding?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Jerry asked:

In favor of not cutting their hands. I assume they use some sort of nylon/dacron/whatever these days...

James _____________________ James Duffy snipped-for-privacy@mac.com

jduffy

Jim M

Thanks! That is only a few miles away. I had considered "kite and kite-supplies" as a possible source, but did not know there was such a shop in the local area.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

In favor of what?

Spectra. They don't need the heat-resistant properties of kevlar.

BillW

Reply to
Bill Westfield

I was about to suggest The Thread Exchange. They have about the best variety I've seen anywhere. I think I bought a lifetime supply of shock cord anchor in a single spool from them about a year ago.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Tuskes

Try this link to the thread exchange. This is 400lb test shock cord material.

Best regards, Kurt Savegnago

Greg Heilers wrote:

Reply to
Kurt