Where do I get a rocket cams

I have an Estes Astro Cam. However, the 110 film it uses is being phased out. I would like to replace the camera with something else. However I do not want to invest in transmitting cameras and equipment required to receive the signal. A simple still or video camera, digital or other, that I can put inside the existing rocket or attach by replacing the nose would be my preference.

Where can I buy something like this?

Thanks for the help, KT

Reply to
kimballt
1) Smart aleck response: getting rocket cams isn't the problem, it's finding a rocket camshaft that's a pain...

2) Real response: wait a month or two for Estes to release their new 'Oracle' digital video camera...

David Erbas-White

snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

If you want to stay with model rocketry, you're a bit more limited, as weight is an issue. The Aiptek PenCams can probably be flown on D motors, and higher thrust (not Estes) E motors if you are careful about weight.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I had to prototype my own which shoots 12 shots in the air, both at launch/coast and floating to the ground. The other alternative is the ayucr camera/pencam controllers.

Reply to
Mike

However I do

To fit an Astrocam rocket, your options are limited. Probably the best thing would be some type of digital "pencam".

If you wanted to build a new rocket capable of flying on G motors, you could have a 35mm camera payload. Here's some info about how to build these, using either a timer or mechanical activator:

?u=3009006&a=31278774 ,

Reply to
raydunakin

A D12 is more than enough to loft the Aiptek Pencam as described in my Sport Rocketry article a while back. I've flown it on Cs as well for low altitude flights.

Has any one seen pricing or any technical details on the Estes Oracle. Is it VGA like the Pencam I used, or is it the older lower QIC resolution, or maybe even the sensor used in the Intel DMC?

My pencam notes are at

Note that some of the links are no linger on the NIRA web page.

Bob Kaplow

I suggest that you study the last issue of Sport Rocketry for more information. You'll need to take your time studying the ad. Really.

David "I get Sport Rocketry for the articles" Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

I've flown the Booster Vision camera on a C6s.

See my other postings in this group.

DGH

Reply to
doug holverson

Funny...on one of the Yahoo rocketry groups, the same subject "arose". How soon, before someone complained about the provocative ad, featuring a "scantily clad female"...in a magazine that can be seen by kids!?...lol.

I opined that it would be pretty ironic, if that Estes ad, featuring the (really not so) scantilly clad young lady caused complaints...seeing as the hobby is ROCKETS...which are FULL of phallic symbolism, and whose lingo contains a plethora of references and slang, which would make Freud proud...lol.

And...not to mention...on the cover of that very same issue, prominently emblazened in the eye-grabbing upper right corner...are the words:

"Dick Freed"

:o)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Thanks for the help, KT

Reply to
kimballt

I agree... building your own is (in my opinion) a lot more fun than just buying something of-the-shelf. Building your own lets you taylor it to do exactly what you want it to, and you learn in the process. Here's some shots with a 35mm payload I made a while back (it took pictures every 1.5 seconds):

...and a well chosen 35mm camera (i.e. not point and shoot) will beat a digital camera in resolution, price, and most likely speed (digital cams take a while to write to the flash, depending on resolution). Vignetting (i.e. darker corners) is the only real drawback to film cameras for this type of thing. I personally like the Kodak ke60 for projects like this. It can fit in a 3.1" BT and weighs something like

6oz. 20$ new on ebay.

Dave

Reply to
dave.harper

In stock!

Reply to
shreadvector

Take a look at

Joe

Reply to
Joe Logic

As much as I would like to help...looks like you're boned. 110 film is pretty much outdated as far as rockets go....take a look at the new digital downlinks they have now.

YOW!

Can't beat 'em with a stick and they're affordable.

Can't wait till FlisKit's get's 'em!

Not my bag but............

Reply to
Zman

try this out:

do a LOT of reading....that's what I did.

Reply to
Zman

Estes just came out with the Oracle, is uses USB video. So far we have had good luck with it

Reply to
Thomas Conway