Using a BP booster motor for dual deployment ejection

Living in the swamps of Southeastern Georgia (the one in the Western Hemisphere) has its advantages, but also some drawbacks. Such as, I am having a really hard time finding an
online merchant willing to sell me just a single pound of FFFF black powder.
Staring out the window at an absolutely perfect day to fly butI'mstuckatworktilldarktoday, my thoughts (naturally) wandered to the L1 4inch Mosquito under construction, and how to dual-deploy absent FFFF grains. Then I realized (Doh !) I've got *lots* of black powder in my flight box right now, carefully wrapped in cardboard and marked with numbers ranging from 1/4A through E6.
My question is, why can't I just use a Quest or Estes booster to deploy the parachute ? I'm using the sustainer's ejection charge to pop the rocket apart at apogee (still haven't decided on whether to use a streamer there) so I need a way to push out the chute at a lower altitude. Acknowledging that a bp booster won't generate gas as quickly as loose powder grains, can I compensate by selecting a booster with, say, twice as much bp in total as the ejection charge calculator calls for ?
John (posting during lunch when I should be reading RMR)
John Bonnett wrote:

It isn't sold online, as far as I know... most folks get theirs from gun stores.
-dave w

Living in a city where there are 1 million+ people, in a 4 county area, it wasn't as easy to find, as I would have thought. I recently picked up a 1lb. can for $14.00 at a gun shop, the ONLY gun shop in the yellow pages to carry it. There are dozens of gun stores here but only 1 full service gun shop.
Wal Mart handles it too but it is seasonal.
Randy
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Sounds parallel to my experience - I asked around on the flying field, and found that there was one gun shop in the bay area that had it, so I went there.
-dave w

Randy are you sure that Wal*Mart sell real black powder? I work in the sporting goods department of a Wal*Mart here in Nebraska and we only carry Pyrodex and Hogdon 777.
--
William Richardson ENC USNR Ret.
TRA 8703 L2

Two reasons: first, after fifty four years I've grown attached to my fingers, bent and gnarled though they be...second, modifying engines is a no-no. Since I am pretty much a lone wolf flyer (not a spectator sport in Camden county) the burden of staying legal is pretty much up to me. I don't want to get started on a slippery moral slope here because, also after fifty four years I've gotten to know myself pretty well and after 'bending' the rules a few times you would shortly find me launching rockets the Safety Code would define as rude, crude and socially unacceptable :-)
Get thee behind me Kitten Cluster Roc !
John (inundated with feckless felines)
...on the other hand, disassembly of commercial model rockets motor products for use in HPR could be construed as EXAR which last time I looked was totally unregulated and totally legal......or if you prefer get you some BP from firecrackers.....
shockie B)

looked
some
-----snip----- Can't get firecrackers in the soverign State of Georgia. Plus, memories from a mis-spent youth are that Black Cats (TM) contain aluminum flash powder.
John (remembering exploding ant mounds)
No, disassembling commercial rocket motor products is NOT considered EX. I can't speak for AR. And I would have to personally say that grinding up a BP motor is far more dangerous than almost any activity an EX rocketeer with good sense would do.
From the tripoli experimental code: 9.5.1 Modifying a commercially manufactured motor in any way shall not make said motor an experimental
motor.
-- David

I've seen rockets that use a small motor to drive a piston ejection system inside a larger body. Tom Pastrick's Tapeworm BG design (in one of the NIRA plans books available from NARTS) does this.
We must have faith in our democratic system and our Constitution, and in our ability to protect at the same time both the freedom and the security of all Americans.
writes:

the
on
that
NIRA
http://nira-rocketry.org/LeadingEdge/Phantom4000.pdf
www.nar.org
-----snippage-----
Thanks Bob ! Hi ho, hi ho, its off to the bookmarked NARTS page I go...
John (piston ejection ? Tres cool)
-----snippage-----

system
(Insert mp3 Death March from Saul here)
Back from NARTS I come. Found several collections of glider designs, but they don't include a listing of what is in each collection. Does anybody happen to know which booklet I need to get the plans for the Tapeworm ? Google returned 3,150 links some fascinating, some disgusting, none flying !
John (gonna boil ALL my water from here on)
email NARTS directly at snipped-for-privacy@NAR.org
shockie B)

writes:

I'm on hte road this week, but if you don't getr an answer, send me email this weekend and I'll check.
This is a country which stands tallest in troubled times, a country that clings to fundamental principles, cherishes its constitutional heritage, and rejects simple solutions that compromise the values that lie at the roots of our democratic system. -- Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1972

HELLO THERE.....first off you can get 4f at Cabelas Sporting goods and from Bass Pro stores.....If there aren't an in your area, you can mail order from them....also alot of gun stores carry 3f ......not to worry you can use it just like the 4f....meaning measure the same by weight.....the only difference is the grain size...3f is slightly larger...you might want use a toothpic or other NON-METALIC object to poke it into the hole in your powder well, to make sure it contacts the de-lay column..by the way, suprisingly, black powder can be shipped non haz mat....go figure...you can go online and order from them on the net...good luck and fly em high!!!!!!!!!!!