looking for timers

I am planning on taking the plunge into hybrids and will need a timer. I want to do some tinkering so I want to get the cheapest timer out
there. I have been toying with the idea of building my own and was wondering what the available options are
Perfect Flight -
On 30 Dec 2003 09:28:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Tater Schuld) wrote:

Phil Stein
as Phil suggested, the Perfectflite is a great value!
here's a timer lineup to compare. Notice distinctions in the number of events (channels), current capacity for ignitor load, and the means of timer triggering
PerfectFlite ($25 - $43) at http://tinyurl.com/ysrvp
Xavien ($33 - $47) at http://www.xavien.com /
Adept Rocketry ($64 - $81) at http://www.adeptrocketry.com/timers.htm
MissileWorks PET2 ($75) at http://tinyurl.com/3gl8w
Blacksky ($50 - $80) single channel at http://blacksky.safeshopper.com/11/29.htm?66 double channel at http://blacksky.safeshopper.com/11/24.htm?66
PML AcuFire ($85) at https://secure.consumersinterest.com/pml/components.asp?groupid
and a number of Transolve timers described at http://www.transolve.com/Transolve/index.html available from Red Arrow Hobbies at http://www.redarrowhobbies.com/electron.htm
the Olsen timers appear to be out of production
there's a avionics comparision table at http://xtratime.net/compare-electronics.htm but it is missing a few timers shown above
- iz
Phil Stein wrote:

at http://www.perfectflite.com

Why not try a magnetic apogee detector (MAD)?
Have a look at:
http://www.cmass.org/member/Robert.Galejs/galejs.html
I have MAD kits available for $30.
- Robert Galejs
Tater Schuld wrote:

These will certainly take the guess work out of drogue deployment with a timer. I recently got one and can't wait to try it.
Phil Stein
wrote:

Phil Stein
writes:

WARNING! The MAD makes extensive use of surface mount parts. I can build Heathkit level stuff no problem (like the AYUCR for my Pencam), but the MAD was beyond my expertice. Fortunately another NIRA member built mine for me. If you're experienced with SM or have a friend to help out, go for it.

Tater, I would recommend the Perfect flite altimeter rather then a timer for ejection.
Timers can't predect well. They are used for air starts and staging mostly.
<ad mode>
I do have both timers and altimeters at:
http://www.boosterworks.com
</ad mode>

I did a review on the Xavien timers. I liked them. http://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/kits/x_timer.html Just another option.
-- Drake "Doc" Damerau www.rocketmaterials.org NEPRA President NAR Section 614 NAR 79986 L3 www.nepra.com Remove "My Shorts" to reply
My personal favorite - http://home.wi.rr.com/garberpark/ !!!

Xavien timers have done the job very well for us too.
http://www.xavien.com /
Kevin Patterson http://www.trailertrashaerospace.com /
hey, how did I miss that one!? ;)
- iz
Mike G wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Tater Schuld) wrote in message

One of the things I forgot to mention is that I want it to be able to fire off Estes igniters....

Hi Tater,
can you give me an idea of the project ?
I might be able to help out, no matter whose product you end up using.
Is it for ejection or something else, you got me real curious.
Art Upton www.boosterworks.com
just for ejection. I wanted something that would fire an estes ignitor that would burn some triple seven or equivalent. these materials are easily accessible to us and would save a lot of fidlin' around
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)

- iz

tater schuld wrote:

timer.
<< Timers are not safe really for ejection. >>
If you overlook the electronics-related risk (same as for any other electronic device), a timer is no less safe than motor ejection.
<< Is you local gun store (not wal-mart) saying they can't get you BP ? >>
BP sales are outlawed locally in many areas, or so heavily regulated that the gun stores have stopped carrying it.

the
Really, in the PRK maybe ?

electronic
the