BP alternatives and storage and useage

looks like FFFFG is getting phased out. the following are supposed to be direct replacements for FFFG and are cleaner (clean up with water) and do not require permits

American Pioneer FFFG Clean Shot FFFG Hodgdon triple 7 FFFG

anyone use these with success?

another thread mentioned bringing ful pound cans of BP as a no-no. does anyone know of a good alternative? I recall at one launch the guy had BP in film cans. I was thinking of maybe a 6 pack of film cans(big dreams) and putting them in a larger container with some sort of fire/combustion suppressant to avoid on igniting and setting the rest off. anyone have some suggestions?

Reply to
tater schuld

I have heard (admittedly second hand) that some cities prohibit tranferring BP to containters not intended for its transport or storage. They want you to store and transport it in the original can.

BTW, Pyrodex does work but you have to c> looks like FFFFG is getting phased out. the following are supposed to be

Reply to
Alex Mericas

Hmmm, FFFF bp is still readiy available as far as I know. Triple 7 will not work. It's burn caratoristics don't lend itself to rapid combustion. Clean Shot is even worse. Both of these are far less effective than even Pyrodex for use in ejection charges. As to American Pioneer...I've never heard of it. Who makes it? Is it also marketed under the name Clean Shot? BP would best be dispensed from a simple brass powder flask.

Reply to
Reece Talley

§ 845. Exceptions; relief from disabilities

(a)

(5) commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not to exceed fifty pounds, percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers, intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms as defined in section 921(a)(16) of title 18 of the United States Code, or in antique devices as exempted from the term "destructive device" in section 921 (a)(4) of title 18 of the United States Code;

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Dean Roth

Tater,

Black powder, and any other high-energy composition for that matter, should only be stored in non-sparking containers. Plastic containers can hold a static charge. A brass powder flask would be a good bet. You can pick one up at almost any place that sells guns (gun store, GI Joe's, Wally-mart, etc.). A small cardboard container should be a pretty safe alternative.

Be careful to dissipate any static charge prior to pouring powder. BP is very sensitive to static electricity. Igniting a one pound can of BP in your hand is a good way to have a bad day. While at the range you should always keep your eye on the stuff or keep it locked up.

Regards, Michael Newton

Reply to
Michael Newton

Depends on the plastic -- at least one brand of black powder is delivered in plastic containers. My guess is the plastic is impregnated with something that keeps it from building up a static charge.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

what Gun store told you FFFF was being phased out and when did they tell you you needed a permit to have it ?

Reply to
almax

same kind of plastic used in anti-static bags used to hold computer parts?

Reply to
tai fu

Phased out? What do you mean by that? For antique BP firearms, 4F is mandatory in certain designs (flint and matchlocks, for instance). Different grades are also used together to tailor the "thrust curve" of different BP loads for target shooting.

Best storage choices, IMO:

  1. Original container.
  2. Container designed for BP (see a gun store for choices).
  3. Powder flask. (gun store, again)
  4. Powder horn. (for that rugged, pioneer, retro-rocketeer look)
Reply to
Gary

DOH! Forgot to include a link on smokeless powder ejection charge testing:

Scroll down to the "assorted tests" section. Don't expect full-blown lab tests like the Doc does; Jimmy has his own ways of making things and making things work.

If you haven't seen his site before, look around. Very interesting, creative, and entertaining individual.

Reply to
Gary