alternatives to JAUS?

Are there any alternatives to the JAUS communication standard for talking to robots?
JAUS is lacking in segment types, coordinate projection, error
messages, and a host of other things. I guess my biggest complaint is just that (due to its insufficiencies afore mentioned) no two companies implement it the same way. Hence, I can't write 3rd-party robotic control software that works on JAUS standards without dealing with each company's specific implementation of JAUS.

A short-sighted non-standard government standard. Why am I not surprized?
No, I know of no other standard of this nature.
Randy www.newmicros.com