Alternatives to RCM

Where to from here guys?

RCM has gone down the toilet and is now mostly paranoid survivalist crossposts and political comment.

Recommendations on some good (well moderated) metal working forums?

Thanks

Reply to
Perry

Where to from here guys?

RCM has gone down the toilet and is now mostly paranoid survivalist crossposts and political comment.

Recommendations on some good (well moderated) metal working forums?

Thanks

*** I periodically block the changing political nyms, and individually set threads as ignore and not to display. This squelch level brings the audible SNR up to a reasonable level.

I am a member of several very good forums, but even now this group has the broadest range of real world working knowledge. Its still worth the effort, although I admit I sometimes wonder for how much longer.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I use the Agent news reader and it is set to ignore all messages posted to multiple groups. If you want to talk about almost anything I will listen. I am not interested when someone starts preaching on a subject.

Reply to
nobody

What was the last metalworking post you wrote?

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Good question.

I block all crossposts and this is a great forum without those crossposts.

Ignoramus25426

I'm more a reader than a poster.

I've learned a great deal from many of the regulars here.

Reply to
Perry

Tom, I've been here quite a while as a lurker - off the top of my head you've got an orchard. I recall reading quite a few interesting posts about your machinery builds and repairs.

I don't post much at all as I have little to contribute!

Reply to
Perry

Perry,

I think you're going to find that the moderated groups on web also have their own pros and cons. WMMV.

Most of the one's that I'm in are pretty narrow in their focus: specific to a machine I happen to own, or one of the subcategories of machining that I do as a hobby - and most of mine are on yahoo groups.

To suggest any, people would need to know more about what you're looking for.

Reply to
Bill

I guess I like RCM as it used to have posts about all sorts of machining

- metal, plastics, CNC, info on jigs or techniques, de-rusting, adhesives, welding - basically anything and everything.

I'll check out some of the yahoo groups.

Thanks.

Reply to
Perry

RCM has always had a depressingly high number of off-topic, usually USA politics posts. Even back in the 90's I had a killfile that got rid of anything crossposted to more than two groups (and still use it).

It'll probably have to be farcebook now, yahoo is pretty quiet.

Reply to
Fred Smith