Hand Reaming and Drilling - REVISITED

I was busy scribing off a piece of sheet metal for cutting and bending when it occurred to me I was WAAAAAAAAY over thinking the problem. Sure the little pin vises with a decent knob of handle will still be useful, but I don't need near as many as I was thinking. There in my hand was the solution to all the sizes I wanted to just leave chucked up.

Some time ago I made a couple carbide scribes by pressing broken 1/8" shank end mills into a hole in the end of a piece of aluminum rod. Then I ground a conical point on the piece of carbide,and knurled the rod. I use them all the time. For the 1/8" drill bit, and the 1/16" drill bit I use all the time on the tackle making bench I can just make some more aluminum rods like the ones I used for the scribes and add a set screw to make the bits replaceable.

Yeah a couple pin vises with tiny chucks would still be handy, but not as many as I was thinking. Cost... well I do sometimes find myself standing around watching machine run. I have lots of aluminum scrap.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I've got maybe a dozen made up using 7/16 aluminum rod. Double ended with a 5/16 hole slightly offset to maximize wall thickness for the set screw threads. Went with 8-32 threads and using headed screws for now. May someday I'll replace them with set screws, if I find the right deal. Shipping is a killer on stuff like that. Just ground a flat down one side to stop them from rolling around.

You can bang them out pretty quick on a lathe. Drilling, tapping the set screw is the slow part...

Leon Fisk

What, you don't have a local hardware store???? shear stupidity to online-order stuff like a couple of setscrews. No hardware store? do a bit of scrounging. They are used in all kinds of "junk"

Reply to
clare

At a buck a piece or more, yea no hardware store or big box. Besides, I did scrounge. That's why I'm using headed screws :)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

At a buck a piece or more, yea no hardware store or big box. Besides, I did scrounge. That's why I'm using headed screws :)

***** I have the great advantage of having a decent nut and bolt vendor just a couple miles from my shop. I buy boxes of small pieces for less than you can buy a bag with half a dozen units at the big box hardware store, and they can get just about anything for me. Even those tiny little grub screws that hold encoder discs to servo and stepper motor shafts.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ow-ow-ow-ow-ow-ow... salt in my wound, quit rubbing it in :)

McMaster had a fair deal on them but for shipping. I'll need something from them one of these days and I'll order some or I'll spot them elsewhere. No rush in the mean time...

When I was still working there was a vendor next door that had cool stuff. Picked up odd stainless steel hardware and other goofy stuff from him. He was just doing me and my employer a favor, knew we were next door. Miss those kind of relationships nowadays...

Reply to
Leon Fisk