Hand Reaming and Drilling

I sometimes find its easiest to grab a chucking reamer to clean up a hole and spin it by hand. No, not gripped between my finger tips. LOL.
Occasionally I need to do something similar with a small drill bit. I've used a variety of things. One that works, but isn't very easy to get a good feel for is to grip the bit or reamer in a pair of locking pliers. I don't care for it much, but right now there are two drill bits locked in locking pliers hanging from the pegboard behind my tackle making bench.
Today I needed to use a reamer to clean out some rather longish holes in a mold at an odd angle. I suppose I should have reamed them before I removed the plates from the angle vise, but (a) I forgot, and (b) I figured the drill bit that made the hole would have made it slightly oversized anyway.
So I found myself using a .126 reamer by hand to clean out a core pin hole. I grabbed a small keyless chuck I acquired somewhere that has a 1/2" shank, and used it as a bit holder. It worked great. It might have been better if it had a big screw driver handle on it, but it was an order of magnitude better than using some locking pliers to hold the reamer. Now I can make such a contraption. It would be pretty easy. I've got three or four small drill chucks that are pretty decent, but then I thought. I can't be the only person to ever need to hand drive a small drill bit or a small reamer. I would think ideally a 1/4" (6.35mm) capacity keyless chuck on the end of a middle size screw driver would be ideal for this sort of work. Somebody must have made one already. Maybe a 3/8 or 1/2 would be handy, but I usually find myself dealing with this on the smaller bits and reamers.
On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 1:43:52 PM UTC-7, Bob La Londe wrote:

Yep, that's a useful item, and easily available (or build-able).
<https://www.banggood.com/0_8-10mm-Keyless-Drill-Chuck-Converter-14-Inch-Hex-Shank-Adaptor-p-1160824.html?rmmds=search
Works with a variety of handles, including cordless screwdrivers (but you'll break bits if you use a pistol-grip type and something binds). Cylinder-on-axis handles work best.
On 10/23/2017 4:43 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:

I often use a tap handle.

That's what I use. It's been used in toolmaking and in industry for that purpose for more than a century.
--
Ed Huntress

They usually do. You must be getting good! ;)

Doesn't everyone have one or more old 3/8 chucks lying around from when they put 1/2" chucks n their 3/8" VSR drill motors decades ago? Just keep that reamer chucked in one of those. They work well as handles. Drill a hole in the shank of a LH screw and use Loctite to thread it into the back end, running a piece of braided fishing line to the chuck key, in case you need to tighten it more than hand-tight. Drill another hole (or 3) the diameter of the chuck key crossbar and use it as a t-bar if you like.
( o0o for flatted crossbars)
--
The Road to Success...is always under construction.
--anon

I know them as a pin vise.
Try this search for some examples:
https://www.banggood.com/search/pin-vise.html
Watch their suggestions along the edges while clicking on a few. That search doesn't find all they have to offer...
Funny you should bring this up. Just ordered this one:
https://www.banggood.com/0_5-8mm-Mini-Hand-Drill-with-Keyless-Chuck-Pin-Vise-Model-Hand-Drill-p-1043309.html
No particular reason, just handy to have around. I've had a smaller one for years with small drill bit storage in the handle. Its got a sewing machine needle chucked in it though, so handy that I just wrote than one off for other stuff :)
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
"Leon Fisk" wrote in message wrote:
<snip>

I know them as a pin vise.
Try this search for some examples:
https://www.banggood.com/search/pin-vise.html
Watch their suggestions along the edges while clicking on a few. That search doesn't find all they have to offer...
Funny you should bring this up. Just ordered this one:
https://www.banggood.com/0_5-8mm-Mini-Hand-Drill-with-Keyless-Chuck-Pin-Vise-Model-Hand-Drill-p-1043309.html
******************
YES!!! I may get two or three or four of them so I can leave the 1/16th and 1/8th bits I use all the time on my tackle making bench chucked up and ready to go. Maybe another on the back work bench, and one on the assembly bench in the machine room.
On Sun, 29 Oct 2017 15:04:03 -0700
<snip>

Not the same thing, wouldn't do the job.
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 8:37:59 AM UTC-4, Leon Fisk wrote:

You might also search on ER collets and collet holder. Kind of like a really big pin vise.
Dan
On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 4:43:52 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

I've got one of these, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007070495/general-tools-hand-held-pin-vise Is that what you want?
George h.
wrote in message
On Monday, October 23, 2017 at 4:43:52 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

I've got one of these, https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1007070495/general-tools-hand-held-pin-vise Is that what you want?
George h.
YES!!! I may get two or three or four of them so I can leave the 1/16th anf 1/8th bits I use all the time on my tackle making bench chucked up and ready to go. Maybe another on the back work bench, and one on the assembly bench in the machine room.