Airfix Diioramas

Airfix has announced two new dioramas as seen on Hannant's.

One is an RAF set with Spitfire Ia, Airfield Refuelling set, RAF Personnel Set and a diorama base. The other s an USAAF set with P-51D, Jeep with Trailer, USAAF Personnel Set and dorama base with Nissen Hut.

Has anybody seen this one yet? Is the diorama base injection molded or vacuformed? Jeep and Trailer would be the newer Arfix/Heller set, I would hope. Although far outclassed by the Tamiya kit I would think that the P-51 is their newer effort, not the 1960s lump.

Good way to recover from their latest ncarnation meltdown.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

I was at my local model shop last week and opened up, talking to my mate who works there, if bought as the pack, or seperate, it works out same price, aber the only diff is, the vacuform base...but nothing to write home about.

The Jeep were sure is the Heller one, it has the canvas rolls etc. quite nice. The P51 is old, but its (from memory) differant to the v orig one...

nice decals...

yeah the base is vacuform, but with a little bit of work and windows cut out etc, would look nice, although the 'tent' or cammo netted....munitions has no detail

Reply to
Jules

I saw these too. Remember back in the early '70s MPC did their little dios like this. The Airfix Spit dio sounds very similar & has the Spit & airfied vehicles. I was wondering if the base is the same as the MPC one. AFAIR, MPC never did one with the P-51.

Reply to
frank

MPC did twenty-one dioramas using Airfix kits and vacuformed bases. I have one, the Balloon Buster set. I am looking for the other WWI set, Red Baron Dogfight. They also did one Viet Nam era set, Chopper! Chopper!. The rest were WWII subjects.

If anybody wants a list of titles let me know and I'll post them here.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

" snipped-for-privacy@netscape.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z28g2000prd.googlegroups.com:

PLEASE!

Frank

Reply to
Gray Ghost

Boy, does that bring back memories! I had both of those. I aways thought this was about the ultimate battle scene kit:

are from this webpage:
this website:
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

ROCO Minitanks also used to do vacuform bases for their HO scale models; I had some of those.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

kit:

Those are from this webpage:
...of this website:

Here ya go:

Attack: Normandy Attack: Rhine Battle of El Alamein Battle of Britain Battle of the Bulge Breakout From Normandy Commandoes Strike At Dawn D-Day Merville D-Day Omaha D-Day Sword Dunkirk Guadalcanal Guns Of Normandy Iwo Jima Normandy Pearl Harbor Attack Rhineland Tobruk Chopper! Chopper!

Plus the two WWI sets. I'm updating the ESM 72 database to reflect new (or forgotten!) information. Any of these having an aircraft included changes the scale listing to 1/72 & 1/76. At that time all of the Airfix vehicles were 1/76, as were their figure sets. Materials would be Injection Molded (aircraft & vehicles), Poly Plastic (figures), and Vacuform (bases).

ESCI, on the other hand, used 1/72 for all of their planes, vehicles and figures. That's another list, if anybody wants it.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

I had these ones: Battle of El Alamein D-Day Merville D-Day Sword Iwo Jima Pearl Harbor Attack Tobruk

I also had the Aurora Anzio Beach diorama kit.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery