B-17F interior details - Legend or Eduard?

For all you B-17 experts out there, which 1/72 interior bits are the best... Legend's resin/PE set, or the various Eduard PE sets? Anybody have any experience with either? If I go with Eduard, where's a good place to get them, since Squadron only has one of the sets?

My uncle was a B-17F pilot with 379BG 524BS, who was KIA over Schweinfurt on

14 Oct 43. Last week I toured the Collings Foundation's B-17G "Nine-O-Nine", which reawakened my longstanding desire to build one of the aircraft he flew. For a big plane, the -17 sure is small on the inside!

I'm going to use the Hasegawa kit ('cause a B-17 really does look like an old Airfix kit full of rivets :-) ) and the Squadron vac canopies & turrets. It's going to be a generic early F model, since although I know the serials and markings of the planes he flew, I have no photos of any of them. He flew these three missions:

Anklam 9 Oct 43: 42-5379 B-17F-50-BO Codes FO-W. First mission, with instructor pilot in addition to regular crew.

Munster 10 Oct 43: 42-5816 B-17F-25-VE Codes FO-Q. Plane named "Polly". Mechanical abort after takeoff. Salvoed bombs into channel; flew over England 5 hours until weather allowed landing.

Schweinfurt 14 Oct 43: 42-3056 B-17F-20-DL Codes FO-R. Crashed in Singhofen, Germany on return from target. Entire crew KIA.

I have one photo of another 379BG plane taken on 9 Oct 43, showing the bars of the national star insignia painted over the fuselage codes. It's b/w, so I can't tell if they have the "old" red outline, or the "new" blue outline adopted in September 1943.

Thanks for the help!

BTW, I'm sure everyone already knows, but Eduard has the instructions for their sets online. Much better than trying to figure out what all the bits in the sheet are!

Peter

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Photoetch is nice but you need resin for a lot of the interior items. I've no experience with Legend's stuff but how bad could it be? If Squander is out of what you're looking for you might try Rollmodels.com. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

If you go to the Legend page at:

and check under 1/72 accessories you can get an idea of what's in the = set. If you want I can check exactly what's in it and maybe take some = pics of it this weekend it as we are the UK importer of Legend.

HTH Andy Moredun Models

Schweinfurt on

"Nine-O-Nine",

Reply to
Andy Macrae

Andy,

If you have a chance to check it out, please do. I've seen the stock picture of the set on several sites (including Legend's), but more information would be great.

Peter