B-29 Superfortress

I have the old Mono kit of the B-29 that I am anxious to built but first I have some questions that need answering.
Considering the size of the finished aircraft what are your suggestions
about the best way to display it?
Are there any aftermarket decal sete for the Enola Gay or Boxx Car? If so who makes them and where can they be obtained?
Were there any OD painted planes or were they all NMF?
As always your help is greatly appreciated. Pete
--
All outgoing mail is scanned by Norton Anti Virus software.

There where B-29 painted in Olive Drab. Most of them where left in their natural metal finish. However there where some that had NMF on top and Mat Black under side. Check out the Squadron book on B-29s in Action for specific color schemes and Bomber group markings. Also if you can get a copy of Scale Aircraft Modelling Volume 14 Number 10 July 1992, it has a great article and color scheme on the B-29 and Tu-4. I have a copy that I could Xerox for you.
You could make a Soviet Tupolev Tu-4 Bull out of it by painting it OD and put red stars and red tail numbers on it. The Tu-4 was an exact copy of the two B-29s that where captured by the Soviets after they where forced to make a emergency landing in the USSR during W.W.II. The Soviet released the aircrews (POW) after the war, but kept the B-29s. Also you could make a Communist Chinese Tupolev Tu-4 by modifying the engines to Dart turbo prop (probably a later modification), painting it NMF and putting Communist Chinese red stars and bars on it. They built the Tu-4s under license from the Soviet.
Gary

I believe the Tu-4 had different turrets. At least the armament in them was different
I too have most of my kits displayed unbuilt in their boxes. DOH!
Cheers, Max Bryant

so
My wife, gawd love 'er, lets me display mine on the dining room table!!

All of the Tu-4s I ever saw in photos were OD.
The guns in the turrets were replaced by twin 23mm guns vice the US .50 calibers. Other than that, the aircraft were just about identical.
Cookie Sewell
CHECK FIRE!
All of the Tu-4s were NATURAL METAL! Sorry for the typo.
Cookie Sewell
In checking on the Tu-4, I stand corrected on the color scheme and the twin 23mm gun turrets. However they did use 50mm cannons as well as the 23mm gun in the turrets of some of the Tu-4s. They said that the Tu-4 was not, as is often said, an exact copy of the B-29; changes were made to armament and construction, partly because of necessity to use as much as possible domestic parts and partly because the construction had to be adapted to metric measures. http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/tu-4.html http://www.moninoaviation.com/39a.html
I found out that the Communist Chinese changed the designation of the Tu-4 to Shaanxi Y-8E aircraft. Some carried WZ-5 Unmanned Reconnaissance Aerial Vehicle. They were based on U.S. AQM-34N 'Firebee'. Also they created their own early warning and electronic countermeasure aircraft from the Shaanxi Y-8E aircraft. Their airplanes were left natural metal. http://www.sinodefence.com/airforce/aircraft/UAV/wz5.asp http://www.moninoaviation.com/40a.html
Gary

I hope you mean .50 cal and not 50mm guns ;^)
--

Claus Gustafsen
Strandby Denmark

On? You could use a B-29 one AS the dining room table!
gd&r
--
Jeff C
RLHD

A better choice for dining is the 1/48 Vulcan- plates are more stable with all that wing area-
--
Jim Atkins
Twentynine Palms, CA USA

If You are limited of space: take one of Your walls, make a "wallpaper" like an air field undergrund, or of clouds over a landscape seen from high above - whatever You like - and then hang the model vertically on that wall over that background. How to hang it ? An open wheel well or bomb bay does it. Just take a stronger screw or nail for the wall, maybe ... Of course, You do *not* nail through the model, just let it stick out so that You can hang it on it.
Saves space and gives a *nice* impression, everybody will say "WOW !" :) I have 50 airplanes in my bureau displayed like this.
greetings, Jan
The Laws wrote:

Hang it on the wall like a picture .
The Laws wrote:

If you build wheels up, note that the bomb bay and wheel doors were not designed to be closed on the kit. major gaps. I filled in as best possible but it looks just fine hanging in the garage....
Craig

I'd hang it vertically on the wall; least amount of dusting and you can leave the gear down.

There was a test a/c with Allison engines that was OD. Monsoon Goon was also OD. hth
The Keeper (of too much crap!)

also
From what I have immediately handy, the first four production models were OD/G.
Have a pretty good 3/4 front view of one at Wichita with logo/cartoon "Flying Guinea Pig" on the right nose but can't make out the serial number because of the camera angle.
Also have a photo of 6 in China. Two are OD/G the others NMF. I assume that the two odd-balls are from the initial batch of four? Not enough detail to base a model on.
Cheers,
Doc H