camo color help

I am currently building a Hasegawa F-4G Wild Weasel and am painting it in the colors of the 23rd TFS 52nd TFW two tone green and gray, the instructions call for Green FS34102, Dark Green FS34079 and Dark Gray FS36081 my question is that the Green FS34102 refered to as medium green on the bottle appears to light, anyone one have any color references that can help I would be grateful.

TIA Daryl

Reply to
Daryl

Several points in response:

1) How does the 34102 appear dry? Many colors look a tad lighter, while "wet in the bottle".

2) My observations from photos, have shown that the two greens do look very close in photos -- closer than one observes from eying two bottles of paint. The true colors may be those numbers "in theory", but in practice, they may "look" different. I am very much from the school that says how it "looks", is far more important than how it "is".

3) Use your photo reference as a guide, as opposed to strict adherence to the numbers. As a practical point, considering the scale effect, you might even want to use the old figure painting trick: your F-4 will be in three colors: A, B, and C. In your A, mix in a few drops of B and C. In your B, mix in a few drops of A and C. And in your C, mix in a few drops of A and B. This will tone them down a bit, for scale reasons, and "bring them closer together" (again, for scale reasons -- remember, the further away the subject matter gets, in real life, the "more overall gray" it becomes).
Reply to
Greg Heilers

I don't know the answer to your question about the green that the instructions call for using. However, that paint scheme was commonly called "Euro-1" and was used on many aircraft in the 80s. You should be able to find refs for the Euro-1 scheme and the FS colors for it on the web. In fact, Testors Model Masters paint line actually had paint listed as Euro-I dark green, and gray. I haven't looked for those colors in some time but they are probably still available as such.

Reply to
Bill Woodier

thanks Greg and Bill the info you gave me helped me out a bunch

Reply to
Daryl