Can A M-12 Upper Hull be Used 4 A M-50

Hi tghere.

Let's shoot down another of my ideas.

To me the M-12 and the M-50 look very similar except one seems to have VVSS and the other has HVSS running gear.

Cookie just informed me that the 155mm gun on the M-12 is WW1 vintage. Therefore am I right in assuming that the M-12 cannot be converted to an M-50 just by changing out the suspension? Not even close?

Thanks and cheers from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

Not sure what an M50 is. Ordinarily, that would be the Ontos self- propelled antitank recoilless rifle carrier in US service, or the Israeli Sherman tank with a French 75 mm gun. I'm guessing you mean the M40 Long Tom self-propelled howitzer, and no, the M12 cannot be converted to it. The chassis is significantly larger, the gun is different and there are essentially no components in common. No reason to undertake a conversion in any case, as AFV Club makes a very nice one in 1/35th scale. Gerald Owens

Reply to
lafimprov

Hi there.

The M-50 is an Israeli 155 mm Self Propelled Gun. AEF makes a complete kit of it. Here is a link to two images of it:

Cheers from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2

Ah, THAT M50.

Nope, the M50 the Israelis built was an M4 chassis with a LOT of reworking and a French 155mm howitzer mounted at the rear. Other than general appearances and the fact that the hulls MIGHT have rolled out of the same factory a couple of years apart the M12 and M50 have nothing in common.

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Hi again Cookie.\

That's what I was afraid of hence my first sentence, "Let's shoot down another of my ideas." Thanks for confirming that.

I wish there were more styrene 1/35 scale kits of Israeli armour. I wonder how long it will be before AFV Club releases a Centurion Sho't KAL 1982 or later version?

Cheers from Peter

Reply to
TankBuilder2