DML C-141B Questions

I just recently acquired a couple of these and a B-52H in 1/200 but I can't find any listing online that would tell me the kit numbers. Yeah, I did a search and came up with all kinds of useless information. Normally I thrive on useless info but it was frustrating this time.

Next, I wonder if the planes ever appeared in natural metal with white dorsal surfaces as the 'A's did? At the end of their careers, did they fly in overall gunship grey?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Dave Shreeve

Actually was white on top, thin black stripe, then grey underneath. About late 60s nothing was bare metal. They had some that were European One camoflague, then all grey. Difference between A and B was the length and refueling probe on top.

There was this sort of bare metal is lighter, easier to see fatigue. But paint preserves metal, can be camo, when jets became the norm, everything was painted. Testing for metal fatigue was all or pretty much mostly non destructive.

White and grey was MATS / MAC. Sort of were supposed to be 'safer' areas. When things folded into Air Combat Command, and bases had everything, paint jobs changed.

Reply to
frank

Thanks for the tips. Now I have a question about the C-141C sitting at the AF Museum. What makes a 'C' model? It doesn't look much different from a 'B'.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Mainly 'glass cockpits' was a big deal when I was at Edwards in the

80s. I worked on the Digital Flight Control System for the F-111, got rid of the vacuum tubes, put in spiffy TFR/TA electronics, updated lots of other stuff, AF didn't buy it, neither did the Aussies, F-111 was retired after DS/DS..B-52 was doing same thing, A-10, B-1 also. Wasn't that long ago that computers were a big deal in airplanes. Touch screens, all that stuff. Multiple screens (think computer pages) on the same display. Wooo heee.....
Reply to
frank