early Revell Zero info..

hi all..

i'm having a bear of a time finding details re:REVELL's early A6M kits.

particularly one packaged as No#4451 Smithsonian versoin of a 1/32 Mitsubishi Zero - or their No#H581 1/32 "Baa Baa Black Sheep" Japanese Zero kit.

does anyone know what model of 'Zero' these kits are? A6M2, A6M3, A6M5, etc?.

i believe both kits were produced in the mid-late 70's and may even be the same kit in diff packaging - i don't know.

any info would be greatly appreciated - shoot, photos or reviews of complete kits would garner an "I'm not worthy", a "You Da'Man!", and a "For what it's worth, bless you".

thanks, dave

Reply to
dparks

well you got me curious...a quick search engine tickle shows it's an A6M5,here's a pic of one on ebay:

Please no need to kiss the ring,it's not a holy relic ;) (and a boobie prize for whomever knows what movie that's from...)

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Thanks for the info 'eyeball', but after a bit more research on my part I found that both kits (No.H-581 & No.4451) are A6M5's, and looks like they are the same kit in different 'skins';

Now where's that ring?.. ;-)

Thanks again, DP

Reply to
dparks

I think you have the time about right. I'd say they are essentially the same kit. It was an old Revell trait to re-issue kits with new boxings and decals. Sometimes the decals were for marks not represented by the kit parts but they looked pretty.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

AMADAUS Where do I collect ;-)

Reply to
Bob LaPadura

I'm not 100% sure if it's the same kit, but I belive it is. Revell has produced an A6M5c or Type 52 Zero in 1:32 scale. As far as I know all boxings are the same plastic, but with different decals and boxart. It's a decent kit, in some areas better than Hasegawa, but with fewer parts/options. Makes a nice model, but as a kit, it's not up to the standard of new kits, it is a late 60's early 70's kit.

Reply to
Claus Gustafsen

At your local boobie store ;)

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

I remember buying the "Black Sheep" Zero hoping it was a T-6/Zero so I could convert back to a T-6, only to find a stock Zero!

Reply to
frank may

"Claus Gustafsen" wrote in news:41792fce$0$229$ snipped-for-privacy@dread16.news.tele.dk:

Re the Hasegawa kit. I had a chance to look through a buttload of Hase Zero boxes at Nostalgic Plastic before the ubfortubate demise of such. I din't think I saw one where the fuse wasn't warped to some degree or another. Lining them up usually suggested that you would never get them to join.

Seems a crime what they wanted for the "Special" Versions. $40 plus for warped plastic. Ewwww!

Reply to
Gray Ghost

OK, here's the story.

Revell's 1/32 Mitsubishi Zero A6M5 (kit H-265) was originally released in 1968 and sold for $2.00 US. The box indicates a 1967 release date but the instructions say 1968. This was one kit in Revell's "Model of the Month" promotion that included a coupon for a small 33 1/3 record titled "Zero!". The date on the coupon is also listed as 1968.

The "Baa Baa Blacksheep" and Smithsonian releases you mentioned are indeed this same kit with different markings.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Yup . Scale Modeler issue of Oct. 1968 has a cover feature on this then new release. I remember it well because I built this when it first came out (summer of '68) and Grandma pitched a bitch about the paint and glue fumes.

Reply to
MACFARB