Revell Copyright Info Molded Onto the Model Piece ??? 1/32 Fw190D-9

have a Fw-190-D-9 1/32 kit dated 1990 that has a Revell c. 1990 imprint on the outside of the stabilizer. What the heck is this about? Putting this stuff on the outside? Is this kit a lot older than 1990? I ask because it has the huge slot behind the cockpit so the canopy can be slid open or closed. Were they still thinking of this kit as a toy?

Am I safe to assume that this slot is not accurate?

Craig

Reply to
crw59

I assume that's the FW-190D-9 kit. That goes back to sometime in the mid to late 70's...they were making a whole lot of 1/32 scale model kits in a hurry back then, and they did a pretty poor job on a lot of them as far as detail goes because they were in a hurry. I think they saw that the Hasegawa ones were selling, and so wanted to get back into that market big time ASAP. The bit with the external copyright info came in sometime in the 1980s, and was very unpopular with modelers. IIRC, it had something to do with a change in copyright law that required that the copyright be visible on the exterior of the product.

That's the least of the problems with the kit... it's a odd hodge-podge of a FW-190D-9 and a early Ta-152, with some features found on neither aircraft -

the rear canopy area falls into the latter category, it's basically the sliding rear section of a radial engined FW-190, not the D-9 variant which had a bulged glazing and redesigned headrest support on it. About the only D variant that had that was the FW-190D-0 pre-production conversions of FW-190A-7, and that wouldn't explain where the Ta-152 features were coming from. The early radial variants did indeed have a slot under the rear canopy; you can see some info on it here-

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I noticed that when Revell released the old Renwal 1/32 scale armor kits (Mace w/Terracrusier, M41, M50 Ontos, etc.), they removed the Renwal logo from the inside of the hull and replaced it with a simple Revell 1982 marking on the outside of the bottom of the hull.

Reply to
RobG

here-

thx for the info. an interesting weekend build. does look like a 190 so it will for work for me. Anyone know if there should be a gap after the prop blades? The set up the kit asks for makes the prop just wobble around, the pin is not long enough to hold it all in place.

Craig

Reply to
crw59

Now that you mention that, I remember that odd move on their part. I'd been trying to get one of those Mace kits ever since I was a kid, so when the History Maker reissue came out I pounced. It was a ball to build it finally.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

I just noticed something odd over here -

box art shows the correct style headrest, although it's not included in the kit. as far as details go, it might be wise to look over the Hasegawa FW-190D-9 and emulate its details, because it's a well thought of kit; here's four reviews of it -
right there shows the canopy problem... it should either be the early type with the early headrest and non-bulged glazing, or the later bulged type with the late type headrest...the Revell one has the late bulged glazing with the early type headrest.
one has the correct style headrest to match the Revell canopy.
Pat

Reply to
Pat Flannery

Same here, as a kid, the Aurora armor kits were the only ones I could afford. All the big kids had the Renwal kits with cool moving parts, lots of large detail and action. I built the Mace when it came out in the 80s too. I still have the Revell Ontos I bought when I got to college in 1982 and the History Makers M55 SPG too.

Reply to
RobG