Extremely OT: Marine Guard Question

I was watching The Final Countdown today and there is a scene where a Marine is guarding a door.

Any Marine here who can comment on just what you think about when you are standing at attention by a door for hours on end with little or no contact with anyone? Recite the field manual, sleep with your eyes open? Decide how you will take down every person that goes by? How do you pass the time of what I assume is terribly boring duty?

There are so many questions like this that I should have asked my dad as he was a Marine, but alas, 20/20 hindsite....

Thx - Craig

Reply to
crw59