Far away scale?

Daft question this, but here goes: How close can you get to a finished model before you're unhappy with the result? I'm sat here looking at a Zero I 'slammed' together within 24 hours. It's 4 foot away, and it looks pretty good. At 2 foot, the illusion is falling apart. Anything closer than 1 foot, and the Zero is a real eyesore!

Spudgun

Reply to
Spudgun

That's the one you suspend in the far corner of the room on fishing line , for all to enjoy forever , at a distance .

Martin

Reply to
mlornie

A little lighter fluid and TORA TORA TORA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Diorama time... Twist and turn, crash and burn, a Kamikazi that didn't make it...

Reply to
John DeBoo

I picked up a ship modelers mag in the early '80s that had a technique that went something like this:

Puch a 1/8-1/4" hole in the center of an index card. Inspect the model through just that hole. By blocking out the rest of the kit , the card forces you to focus on just the section seen through the hole. Now you can 'see' things that may not be up to your snuff and gives you the chance to fix 'em. If it passes the 'hole test', things should be A-OK at any distance.

Chuck Ryan Springfield OH

Reply to
Chuck Ryan

At least you finished it...????...lol lol

Reply to
Arcusinoz

Yeah, I've finished it alright. It now sits in a dark corner at the other side of the room at a distance I can tolerate.

Spudgun.

Reply to
Spudgun

But did you enjoy building it?

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

Indeed, without using magnifiers or other optical enhancements, most people's near vision limit is about 10-12 inches. Multiply that by the scale, and it sets a minimum scale distance we view models from. For instance, with a 1/600 ship model, that is 6000 inches or 500 feet! Much closer for airplanes and cars, of course, with larger scales. BTW, if that is a 1/72 scale airplane and you view it from 4 feet, that is a scale distance of nearly 300 feet.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Oh, in my earlier post I forgot to mention a problem that occurs in model photography. I have a very good closeup lens on my camera, so I can photograph the model from much closer than I can view it from with my eye. The result is all sorts of flaws I see in photos that I did not see before :-(

Reply to
Don Stauffer