Fleet Air Arm Ansons

Hi there, newbie post here. My dad was an aerial photographer back in WW2 in the Fleet Air Arm and flew in Avro Ansons. For Xmas my eldest lad has decided to build a model of the Anson for him. So what I want to know is what sort of paint scheme did the FAA Ansons have?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

a google of "fleet air arm avro anson markings" turned up a bunch of hits, mostly the same content.

Most show trainer scheme of dark earth, green w/ yellow undersides...

The second being standard dark green & dark earth or in some cases dark earth & middle stone on the upper surfaces with what was termed duck egg blue undersides,the duck egg varied in shade from pale blue to a pale greenish

The third option being basically all yellow transport.

I didn't find anything that mentioned schemes specific to Fleet Air Arm, only references that they didn't get camoflage until after the RAF, or after 1939 (depending on source)

not sure any of the above is of much use. any chance you can get the info from dad without "letting the cat out of the bag"? Like maybe print the illustrations from the website above and ask if his planes really looked like.... (hopefully more artfully)

Reply to
OldSchool

Thanks. I emailed the FAA Museum at Yeovilton and they said RAF scheme on top with yellow underside and a yellow band around the fuselage where the rondel goes. This for the FAA School of Photography.

I'll try to get some info out of him subtly.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc