Flying Tiger Tidbit for modelers

I may be the last to have been told, but did ya'll realize that until April of 1942, no P-40 of the AVG had the flying tiger emblem on the fuselage? Stupid me was caught by surprize by this fact. Some of the most significant actions of the AVG were fought without this "cute" little Tiger present, and about half of the AVG pilots that were brought down never saw it. However I don't recall a single model of a P-40C or E without the Tiger on it, all being I guess, post March '42 birds.

The next P-40C (or early E whose camoflage colors not currently verified) I make in "AVG" markings will not have that Tiger out of respect to the "Tigers" that never survived to see it.

As an aside, another fact was just learned...off topic. As I was writing this mail, I heard a boom and loud crash in the kitchen. Apparently my daughter also just learned something. Don't put eggs that have just been boiled in the microwave. Makes a nice little bomb. Amazing world where we learn something new every day. Wasn't hard on her, it was something else that I did not know either.

Al

Reply to
old hoodoo

Why would one put freshly-boiled eggs in the microwave? The few times I have boiled some for egg salad....I was annoyed and infuriated about how long it took them to cool, before I could use them and make the salad. For what reason would anyone have to *warm* them at this stage?...lol.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Don't put eggs that have just been

Al, There's been worse stories than that. Supposedly when Microwaves first came out some folks used them to cook raw eggs. The white hardened enough to contain a liquid yolk above the boiling point at atmospheric pressure. The pressure inside was above this. Then they shell the egg rapidly - take a bite and it goes off like a grenade spraying hot boiling yolk all over their face - bad burns resulted.

On a humorous note I had a friend at work who brought in some kind of baked beans. Put them in the communal microwave and was getting a soda at the machine when they started going off like pop corn. Now it's attracting attention - so he walks over looks at what happening and says - geez some asshole put beans in the microwave and walkes away.

Val Kraut

Reply to
Val Kraut

I did ask my daughter that and her reply was that the egg was not quite done to her satisfaction.

As I ate the sandwich she gave to me, I stated, "This is the most expensive sandwich I have ever eaten." It appears that the microwave could not handle the internal explosion and died. She was pretty upset so I didn't tease her too much. Considering the mess in the micro, perhaps it is for the best.

Greg Heilers wrote:

Reply to
old hoodoo

I think I also work with your friend's brother. Caught him eating community banana pudding in the break room...out of the bowl, classic double dipping. He ate three or four spoonfuls and left it there for the rest of the staff to enjoy. Its amazing these people are allowed to live. Oh, yeah, that was just after he stole the electric cart from in front of the ladies restroom. When the partially disabled woman (both heels crushed in a car accident) hobbled out of the restroom to get on her cart, he was in another area of the office literally running it into walls. Oh, yes, he is also the one that spits his tobacco juice into everyone's trash cans. A dear fellow, acts every day of his 44 years.

Val Kraut wrote:

Reply to
old hoodoo

But now you have an instant paint booth, albeit a smallish one, and much cheaper than buying one! Undo the magnetron and related plumbing, reverse the fan and voila!

When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci EAA # 729686 delete the word spam from email addy

Reply to
TimeTraveler658