I got a new (to me) find!

While at the hardware store for some plumbing supplies, I happened on a new type of masking tape, called Frog Tape. It's supposed to have something in it to prevent paint bleed. On their ad on the telly, it shows the chemical in the tape mixing with the paint and quickly forming a gel to keep the paint from running beneath the tape.
They make two types, one regular and one reduced tack (which my hardware didn't carry, naturally). I tried some today on a scrap P-26 kit and it worked nicely. If I can find some of the reduced tack variety, I plan on painting on some wing stripes to see how they come out.
Regards, John Braungart
The Old Man wrote:

type of masking tape, called Frog Tape. It's supposed to have something in it to prevent paint bleed. On their ad on the telly, it shows the chemical in the tape mixing with the paint and quickly forming a gel to keep the paint from running beneath the tape.

didn't carry, naturally). I tried some today on a scrap P-26 kit and it worked nicely. If I can find some of the reduced tack variety, I plan on painting on some wing stripes to see how they come out.

...turns pain to gel...don't like the sound of that. And what *kind* of paint? Laquer, enamel, acrylic?..could end up with a squishy mess on your edges - seems it's formulated to work with latex paints:
http://www.frogtape.com/How%20FrogTape%20Works.aspx
I'd suggest experimenting with some scrap first!
--
- Rufus

On Sunday, May 6, 2012 8:22:29 PM UTC-4, Rufus wrote:

I did and found that it works with acrylic very nicely and the Model Master rattlecan enamel also gave a nice sharp edge when I used it - excet for one spot where there was a raised bit of detail beneath. I forgot to make sure that the tape was pressed down over it, so that was my fault. I sprayed like normal and let it dry reasonably hard, about four hours before I removed the tape, it worked as well as 3M blue tape, but DID give a better edge. As they say, YMMV.
Regards, John Braungart