Iraqi Armor Colors

Does anyone know of a brand and color that matches the color of Iraqi armor or is this a mix only?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
MQM107

Well...after seeing the dozens of vehicles that were brought back to FT. Hood, after the 1991 operation, I would say that at least *then*; they were a "mix"; as the color(s) varied widely; with most markings *crudely* hand-painted.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

British 8th Army Sand from Humbrol is pretty close.

I personally think what they used was acrylic house paint at about $7.95 a drum....

Cookie Sewell

Reply to
AMPSOne

Cookie, is this paint still in Humbrol's line? Not long ago, I was looking for it, as I had used and liked it when I was a kid on some of my first models. I could not find it - Humbrol has "sand" colors, but it wasn't clear to me if one was the old 8th Army color or not.

Chris Kansas City

Reply to
cschultz

Yes...that Humbrol color is a good match for what I always felt was the "prettiest" of the colors I remember seeing at Hood. And as you also said, many also looked like they had been painted with Dutch Boy Beige House Paint.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Mike,

The old Humbrol 8th Army Desert Yellow is now Humbrol #093 Matt Desert Yellow. Hope this helps.

Alex Loungeway

Reply to
Alex Loungeway Sr

Alex, there was a companion color in the old line for the Afrika Korps yellow - would you by any chance know the "modern" equivalent of it?

Chris

Kansas City

Reply to
cschultz

Chris,

The old color was Afrika Corps Desert Yellow, HM-2. It now lists as Matt Sand Number 063. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Alex Loungeway Sr

Thank you very much, Alex. Is there a reference somewhere that provides this information? I used Humbrol almost exclusively in my early years, but gave up when acrylics came to the market and when Humbrol became scarce here in the Midwest, before the rise of the internet. I still remember all the "old" colors, and it would be great to have a resource that cross references with today's range.

Thanks again for your help,

Chris

Reply to
cschultz

Chris The IPMS Stockholm website has a cross reference between the old and new humbrol colors. Actually the site has quite a bit of information.

Mike

Reply to
MQM107

Afrika