Late war Fw 190 D-9 camouflage colours ... ?

The forward central area should be open to the engine bay.

Reply to
Ron

Not, unfortunately, for all their kits. They took this approach with the

1/72 Ta 152C, but (although they did include engine bearers on one spure and listed the parts as 'not to be used') included no engine. Painting the entire exposed interior area flat black pretty much solves the problem, unless you want to display the model on its back.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

You can always use one of the aftermarket engines if it really bothers you. I have a couple to do that way myself.

Reply to
Ron

--snip--

--snip--

Make that "*had* the wing that belongs on the AFM D-9." Fortunately, both wings have been reunited with the aircraft to which they belong and are living happily ever after.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

Outstanding! Who engineered that without a clash of egos? tia,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

John Magne Stubsveen wrote

I'll just add this bit to the large number of answers already posted:

According to Official Monogram Painting Guide to German Aircraft, the "standard" D-9 camouflage scheme was Dark Green 82 (the book came out before the evidence turned up suggesting that the number should be 83) and Grey-Violet

75 topsides, Light Blue 76 lower surfaces, with mottle of 82 (83) and/or 75.

While there undoubtedly were many exceptions to this (including the well documented late-war use of several new sky colors for under-surfaces, including one that looks like a pale version of British Sky, anybody would have a pretty hard time proving you wrong if you go with 82 (83)/75/76.

Pip Moss

I used to feel cheap 'cause I had no signature.

Reply to
Pip Moss

Thanks. I've decided to go with the suggested 83/75/76 colour scheme with a light overspray of 02 on the fuselage sides before adding the

83/75 mottle camo.

Speaking of a standardised colour of many different shades: The RLM 02 Grey ... I've seen a few Bf 109 decal sheets where one of the top colour is listed as 02, except it looks more like a pale greenish tan slightly darker than 02 rather than standard 02 grey -- More like dried grass. Could this have been a field mix 02 with some 71 thrown in for good measure?

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Probably an ink problem during printing; you can't really use printed colours as a resource. Just paint chips. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Since I don't display models on their backs, I can safely say that in this case it really doesn't bother me. If the engine had been included in the kit, I suppose I would have included it.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

I know what you mean but I have two I want to put on mirror bases.

Reply to
Ron

Oh, OK. The colour just looked so "off" that I thought it might have been intentional. These were Cutting Edge decal sheets by the way.

Reply to
John Magne Stubsveen

Yeah, sometimes the ink looks better than the real thing. I've got a Air Classics around here that has a picture of an F6F Hellcat, through an anomaly in the printing process it came out purple! Looks cooler than the blue but I just haven't summoned the wherewithall to paint one yet. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Be aware some GSB paint jobs did go purplish near the exhausts.....Not seen in a book either but color slides at NARA.

Reply to
Ron

I understand that it was simply a matter of Doug Champlin (owner of the D-13) and the Air Force Museum (owner of the D-9) recognizing a "win-win" situation when they saw one ... but please don't ask me why straightening out the decades-old error took so long, because I don't know.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

It's too bad they didn't do it before Tamiya walked in for the measurements! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper