looking for ideas on painting aircraft exhaust stacks

Hello, I'm about to paint the exhast stacks on an OV-10 model that I'm working on, and am just looking for some ideas on which metalizer colors you've had success with for this type of thing. Also, any post-shading/washes/rusting/etc techniques that really make an exhaust stack look especially realistic?

I was thinking of using my Testors Exhaust metalizer on the insides of the stack, and then using Burnt Iron or Burnt Metal on the outsides, followed by a drybrushing of rust?

Thank you!

Reply to
Pauli G

on 10/24/2007 10:42 AM Pauli G said the following:

willshak

Consider using Hawkeye's Hobbies Spray Metal Red Anodized Aluminum over an aluminum base to replicate the reddish tint to the heat stressed effect found on turbine exhaust.

Here's link to a picture showing the color.

bluumule

I use a rusty brown shade for turboprop & recip engines exhausts, as that's what my experience around the real ones has been.

Reply to
frank

I don't think that the choice of any *one* color is as important as showing *multiple* colors. Like the tracks on armored vehicles, they are full of many subtle color variations. Look at the "hot plumbing" areas of your own car's engine, to get some ideas.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

I've had good luck priming exhaust stacks and manifolds with Krylon gray primer, then dry brushing on Testors Steel, followed by a very light dry brushing with rust or fat medium brown.

Reply to
Don Stauffer in Minnesota