Mattel Vacuform questions

Hi --

A couple three questions:

  1. Does anyone make pre-perforated (yes, I AM lazy!) vacuform sheets to fit the old Mattel Vacuform machine? I'm particularly interested in clear, for slot car windshields.

  1. What is the best type of plastic sheet for vacuforming, given the prime requisites (from highest to lowest) of lightness, reasonable strength, ease of forming, and decent appearance?

  2. A lot of people seem to use aluminum foil over the plastic to heat it faster. How can you tell when the plastic's ready to mold when it's under the foil?

Thanks!

Bart

Reply to
Bart

FWIW There used to be a guy who advertised sheets for a Mattel in Fine Scale Modeler. Might pay to dig into some back issues.

Bill Shuey

Bart wrote:

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I've seen some on eBay but the holes aren't absolutely necessary. The sheets can be held in place with strips of strong double-sided tape.

PETG, as used for soda bottles nowadays. One brand name to look for is Vivac.

Experience and a periodic test prodding with a pencil eraser.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

search string at ebay is simply "vacuform" current guy who is selling the clear sheets shows up all the time. his sheets even come with protective film. Item number: 6011266553

you can build a box very easily for vacuforming. i have 4 different sizes. allows less waste of plastic.

i use an electric oven and a shop vac to doing my vacuforming.

yep the pencil is indeed the perfect toll.

Reply to
jack

  1. Yes, I remember seeing an ad- don't remember where, only a couple of months ago for precut and DRILLED stock for the vacuform.
  2. Styrene is best.

  1. As far as I am concerned, the machine heats the plastic fine once the machine is warmed up. I wouldn't worry about trying to speed things up- I too like to watch carefully as it heats to try to catch the right point.

Reply to
Don Stauffer

Hi Bart, Just got in an order from the ultimate vac-u-form supplier. Callari Model Works in Rochester NY sells pre drilled sheets in both white and clear. Prices are pretty reasonable. Contact him at snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com Dave Calhoun

Reply to
Dave

Dave --

Thanks for the heads-up! I ordered and received a set of Callari's pre-drilled sheets last week. I haven't had the time to try them out yet, but the clear plastic isn't at all what I expected -- it's kinda soft and cloudy. Does this go away during the heating and forming process? Any experience of these Callari sheets from anyone greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Bart

Reply to
Bart

Red Alert! Please be advised that these sheets have a protective coating on

-both- sides that needs to be removed befor you use them. When you peel off the coating the sheets are crystal clear. WRF

"Nooooooo! Stop me before I build again."

Reply to
rfranklin

Ron Callari has an excellent product, but they are a bit too thick for me. And as WRF mentioned they do have a protective film.

I've discussed this with thim and he is in a process of looking for thinner stock (something like 0.015"). That would work much better.

In a meantime, I've pre-cut some thinner stuff I've bought from Micro-Mark and he drilled it for me. Some of them got destroyed in drilling but I still have enough to last me for a while.

Ron is a very friendly person to deal with. I highly recommend his products and services!

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Awhile back, when I first got my milling machine, I made up stamping dies to punch the appropriate holes. It worked OK, but I just made my own shop vac/toaster oven system which ended up being simpler and much better overall.

KL

Reply to
Kurt Laughlin