Model Motorcycles

Hi Group

Just about to embark on my first build, it's a Tamiya Telefonica Moviestar Honda, which i intend to decal up using the sadly lost Dajiro Katoh decal kit. I've bought all the paints, brushes, glue and all the other bits, but will probably be needing some nuggets of advice along the way. As this is not a group dedicated soley to bikes i would'nt want to ask on here as it may not the best place to ask. Is there a group or web site anyone knows of I could use. Many thanks

Craig

Reply to
<vtr2000

Here's an excellent site:

rgb-man

Craig,

Some of us DO model bikes, along with all the rest of the stuff we do. Welcome to the hobby and the group. If you've got questions, here's the place to ask them. Modelling is the same, whether it's bikes, aircraft or armour.

The Tamiya bikes are little jewels, so you'll have no problems with the fit - that said, if you put too much paint on some of the pieces (esp the cowling), it will interfere with the fit - that's how close the tolerences can be! Read the instructions, take your time, think ahead a little bit and read the instructions - you'll be fine. Some assemblies can be a bit tricky, due to the small size and details, but if you take it slow, it'll be cool. I see that you're in the UK - if you can get hold of the Tamiya TS series spray cans, give them a go, esp for the bodywork. The paint goes on thin and dries out to a good gloss - give me a hoy if you want detailed instructions on the best way I've found to use them.

If you can, join a local modelling club - you will learn so much, your head'll explode! Don't forget to ask questions on the group - it's why we're all here!

Have a look at this site (Coaster's Motorcycle Modelling) - the bike you're building is on the front page!

Enjoy your new hobby!

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

Many thanks for you help guys. Good website too! Shame on tamiyanfor not doing Ducati's!!! :-)

Will be strarting my build in a couple of weeks once i've cleatred me some space and taught the kids and missus not to touch anything!! Thanks for the welcome.

Craig

Reply to
<vtr2000

Craig, Ask and ye shall recieve. Tamiya DO do Dukes - at last count I have 2 Mike Hailwood Replicas (900SS) (kit no 14019) - one of them is built, the other is awaiting the opporunity. These are early issues, 19th in the series, but are still real sweet. Tamiya also have the 888 Superbike Racer (14063) in 'Police' sunglasses livery (2 of those, also), the 916 (14068) in its early form - twin cat-eye headlights - yummmmmm! (3 of those....), the 900 N.C.R. racer (14022) and I think they also do the road version of the 900SS in black and gold. The early ones (900SS's) are often available as re-issues at reduced prices from the newer kits. They're good kits and look fantastic when finished.

For more Ducati stuff, try also the Bimota Tesi 1D 906SR kit (14062) - Bimota built this one using a Duke donk, then hung those trippy swing-arm forks off the front of it. This is a fiddly model - save it up for when you've done a few - but it certainly gets the jaws dropping at shows! I did mine in pearl white with custom graphics in metallic red and green - looks a treat. For big Dukes, Protar/Revell have a 996 in 1/9th scale - I've not yet built mine, but if it's anything like most Protar kits, it will be a challenge - they tend to indifferent fit, soft detail and fiddly breakdown, but it does have an indivual link chain! (Take that, all you armour blokes!)

Have fun looking for scale Dukes!

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg