Modelling Pet Peeves

I only know half of everything, so if I don't know the answer, you have to ask my brother, who knows the other half.

Reply to
Guy N. LaFrance

...I thought IPMS didn't like ANY thongs?..

Reply to
Rufus

Along the same lines...

Stretched sprue (or fishing line) antennae on 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 aircraft. On 1:1 aircraft, the antennae are almost invisible. On the scale models the sprue antennae would scale out to about the size of sewer pipe. But if you try to leave it off at an IPMS contest and you'll never hear the end of it.

Art

Reply to
Art Murray

That's what I get for typing after a day scanning photos......as in 10 hours of that for the second day in a row.

Reply to
Ron

Let's see, 48 * 0.005"= 0.24", 48 * 0.007"= 0.336", 0.24" and 0.336" look like reasonable antenna diameters to me........invisible thread usually runs 0.005" to 0.007".......

Reply to
Ron

Well my Mountain Dew gut has me looking like I'm perpetually pregnant!

:)

Reply to
Scott A. Bregi AKA The Model Hobbit

Oh yeah. They all work on my Tiger tank! I can vouch for that.

Reply to
Scott A. Bregi AKA The Model Hobbit

Do the trolls that leave a bad taste in your mouth count as peeves?Pet or otherwise?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

I would never prohibit construction or display of anything that a person chooses to model. As Al points out, that's inappropriate. Now if Mr. Fecal Sample wants to put his turd sculpture on the table at a contest, I as a contest director would be inclined to have it removed from display because according to contemporary community standards (not IPMS standards, whatever the hell they think they are) it is without redeeming social value--i.e,. obscene. But that's such a special case it hardly merits concern.

This thread was about what 'peeves' us. Luft'46 aircraft that never reached hardware stage in markings but are protrayed in Nazi German markings peeve me. The aircraft themselves, otherwise marked, bother me not at all. Aircraft that actually were actually built in Nazi German markings are representations of actual history, and do not peeve me either; in fact, I have at present three built-uips of Luftwaffe aircraft, and three more onthe bench. The fantasy of a Nazi regime with an extended existence is not a fantasy I find pleasant to contemplate.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

...wow...that's a butt-load.

Reply to
Rufus

The .tifs would fill about 20 CD's from those two days alone. Yep, all primary source research at NARA.

Reply to
Ron

Try using a strand of an old pair of your wife's (or significant other's) nylons or panti-hose. One old paair will provide antenna and rigging wire for a lifetime. When you pull a strand off it's so this it's nearly invisible and it will never go slack after it's super glued on.

-- -- " In walks the village idiot and his face is all aglow; he's been up all night listening to Mohammad's radio" W. Zevon

My home page:

Bill Woodier

don't spend much time with the hasegawa and tamiya catalogs eh?

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

There are quite a few different models out there but the information is kind of sparse - in English. Gernot says quite a lot is available in Japanese.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Okay, ALL RIGHT! I didn't mention this peeve of mine before because I think you ought to build whatever you dang well please, but dag-nabbit, there are TOO MANY GERMAN TANKS AND AIRCRAFT, OKAY? What is this freaking fascination with les Bosches and their machines in the first place? They're freaking Europeans, for crying out loud, of COURSE they had great weapons and the ways and means to make them even better.

What fascinates me is the Japanese, who came out of a feudal society to form a world-class army and navy and provide them with weapons that amazed and terrified the world, and they did it in less than a century. I have to wade through pages and pages of Panzerkamphwagens and Bayerischfleugzeugwerkens to find the paltry few of the magnificent flying machines produced in Dai Nippon, there aren't nearly enough types represented, and HALF of them are frigging done-to-death Zeros! Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Sorry. Had to vent. I feel much better now.

Reply to
Guy N. LaFrance

They haven't arrived yet. I just got back into the hobby a couple weeks ago and had to take time to find out if the catalogs were worth the money.

Reply to
Guy N. LaFrance

Those are the sources I want to track down - who knows where I can get catalogs and references for Japanese aircraft of the PTO? Nothing on the Web seems clear to me. Do I need to download Japanese character sets for my browser and get a translation app? Who's Gernot, and do I have to talk to him in French? Zut alors!

Reply to
Guy N. LaFrance

"jerry 47"wrote

Jerry, I meant 5 thou by 5 thou, which is very close to the dimensions you'll get from WEM and others.

I know maths isn't everyones strong suit, but that makes the diagonal about

7 thou

EVEN if the cross section was 5 by 20 - and most of the good railings aren't anything like that crude - the diagonal is only about 21 thou

That works out to 14 inches, which is nasty and overscale but still a bloody lot smaller than " 8 or 10 feet in diameter"

Shane

Reply to
Shane Weier

What about Aber's individual links for Panther travel lock chain. Consisting of something like 497 teeeny weeenie bicycle links that you're supposed to stack three and four thick and wire up like the real thing!

For my peeves, I've gotta go with 'eye candy' as a finishing technique..

unrealistic glory weapons (IR and round the corner mp44's, large size panzerfausts in greater volume than say kar98's and mg 42's) left lying about,

unclipped items of personal gear strewn about as if the wearers were in a hurry to get off all the gear to get to the orgy,and personal gear just hanging from the sides of vehicles without any means of attachment/support.

full sized maps without anything holding them down.. (ever try to unfold a roadmap on the hood of the car and leave it there unattended for more than 5 sec?),

And the number one pet peeve: Massively Chipped late war German armor.. in the days when combat life was measured in days if not hours, the idea of a overly chipped Panther , looking like it had been sandblasted all along all the panel edges makes me , well.. chipped off! Mike please remove "diespam" to reply

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, perhaps you've misunderstood the situation.

Reply to
MLDHOC

Another peeve surfaces.. I feel like the current AMPs standard is the Model +kitchen sink worth of aftermarket.

I brought this up and we hashed this out in their discussion group a while back, but to my mnd a well built, well researched, well painted, well presented model without lilly guilding is as worthy as the kit next to it with all the bells and whistles on it.